VOGONS

Via Eden X4

Topic actions

First post, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I didn't know this until recently, but Via have been making a legit quad-core version of their "mighty" Eden line for the last couple years. Have any of you used one?

I realize it's not going to blow the pants off... well, anything, but it might be nice in low-power situations where a bit of headroom for multitasking or multi-threaded software would be beneficial, or fun for an unusual XP/Win2k build.

Looks like it's only available in BGA (i.e. soldered on). I can't even find a motherboard with one for sale. Getting one in a (HP T620-style) "thick client" with a PCIe slot would be pretty neat.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 1 of 1, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Haven't used one in a retro computing scenario, but there is one in the box that replaced the alarm, manouever, and event dot matrix printers on the hunk of junk of a ship I work at a few of years ago. Sure, haven't really tortured it, the most advanced task I've done on it is to truncate the time stamps and run uniq on some ten thousands lines of alarms in a text file, but my general impression is that it's slow, really slow. It's like it struggles with just running Windows XP.

Haven't tried any OS that properly supports multicore though. Might work better 😀