VOGONS

First post, by pinkdonut666

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I recently picked up a TANDY 1000TL computer system. I purchased it "as is" in unknown working condition, but physically it looked alright just dirty. it was cheap enough so I went for it.
f1qnBvtl.jpg
ghvHMjjl.jpg
JNQUVRol.jpg
Unfortunately it got banged up a bit during shipping, and the power supply took the brunt of the damage. (large heatsinks in the power supply cracked the power supply PCB when rattled around) I didn't notice the power supply PCB was damaged until after I attempted to power up the system. oops... blew up a Motorola IC related to the floppy controller (easy to replace for $0.90) but other damage must have been done to the board that isn't so easy to spot.
2Ko3DMZl.jpg
Ky9uAaBl.jpg
(the IC that is now missing a chunk)

I Have completely "rebuilt" the power supply by replacing the internals with a more modern PICOPSU with an ATX-TANDY AT/XT PSU adapter. ( I have triple checked that the new power supply is functional and stable under load)
QQ7fbszl.mp4

All the system does at the point when powered on is make a horrible constant tone from the Speaker, and cause the monitor to go black. (instead of grey when the system is off) I have removed all ISA cards, and all drives. just powering the motherboard. but when the Hard card was plugged in it did spin up and start doping its thing, so the ISA slots are getting power.

the CPU, DMA controller, RAM chips, and a few other things are getting warm (100f)

I have looked over every inch of the board and cannot fin any other physical damage, and honestly have no idea where to even start. 😒