VOGONS

First post, by Hamby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've installed win98SE on two different super socket 7 motherboards, using two different serial mice I know work, and 3 different serial cables... and win98SE will not detect my mice.... why might that be?

Reply 1 of 7, by FFXIhealer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Windows... or any other OS for that matter, does not "detect" ANYTHING on the Serial or Parallel ports. They have to be initialized with a driver for any device plugged into them to work. PS/2 ports are QUITE specific and limited to ONLY keyboard and mice, so it's very easy to have Windows do an initial check for those ports.

292dps.png
3smzsb.png
0fvil8.png
lhbar1.png

Reply 2 of 7, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The serial mouse is a non-Plug and Play device and in order to get it detected, go to the Start Menu > Settings > Control Panel. Go to Add Hardware, press Next a few times and select Yes, detect hardware, next, and it should detect the mouse.

One more thing: run CuteMouse in the DOS prompt (press F8 and select Command Prompt Only) to see if the mouse gets detected from there.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 3 of 7, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Hamby wrote:

I've installed win98SE on two different super socket 7 motherboards, using two different serial mice I know work, and 3 different serial cables... and win98SE will not detect my mice.... why might that be?

Did you restart between each tries ?
Afaik, Windows 9x doesn't automagically detect these kind of device if the system is running.
However, it may probe for serial mice and serial modems during startup..

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 4 of 7, by retardware

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Some of the answers above are not correct.
Windows 4 looks at the serial ports every time it starts.
If there is a MS compatible mouse installed, it is getting activated.

In case a mouse connected to serial port 1 or 2 is not being detected, there are only the following possibilities:
-Mouse is not MS compatible
-Port(s) have been deactivated (BIOS or Windows hardware profile)
-Usage of an improper extension cable
-Hardware fault

Reply 5 of 7, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

From my experience, Windows 98 SE has some problems with serial mouse identification after you change the motherboard.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 6 of 7, by amadeus777999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bjwil1991 wrote:

The serial mouse is a non-Plug and Play device and in order to get it detected, go to the Start Menu > Settings > Control Panel. Go to Add Hardware, press Next a few times and select Yes, detect hardware, next, and it should detect the mouse.

One more thing: run CuteMouse in the DOS prompt (press F8 and select Command Prompt Only) to see if the mouse gets detected from there.

Reply 7 of 7, by B24Fox

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have had an instance with a serial mouse, where neither Win98SE nor CuteMouse could install/detect the mouse; but WinXP autedetected it and it worked fine.
(all this on an AthlonXP machine)