VOGONS

First post, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi,

I'm trying a Sapphire E350 mini itx mobo with the AMD E350@1,6Ghz x 2 and soon I'll receive another D2500HN with the Atom D2500 1,86Ghz x 2. Both cpus have 2 cores no HyperThreading the first with out-of-order execution architecture and the second with in-order execution.
Beside the iGPU where the AMD one should be more compatible in 64bit os (linux) than the PowerVR one of the Atom (I remember some problem with not-32bit enviroments drivers) on the single/multithread tasks which will be faster (office,web,multimedia eventually some opengl bench)?
EDIT: For the Atom I'll use a FX 5200 (pci only) and with the AMD I will use a GT610 1GB DDR the fastest I have.
Thank

Last edited by 386SX on 2019-07-30, 21:04. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 7, by BinaryDemon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

E-350 should be faster. And it seems you are right that some motherboard manufacturers did not implement 64bit support for Cedarview atoms.

Check out DOSBox Distro:

https://sites.google.com/site/dosboxdistro/ [*]

a lightweight Linux distro (tinycore) which boots off a usb flash drive and goes straight to DOSBox.

Make your dos retrogaming experience portable!

Reply 2 of 7, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BinaryDemon wrote:

E-350 should be faster. And it seems you are right that some motherboard manufacturers did not implement 64bit support for Cedarview atoms.

Yeah I liked the D2500 cause it's basically the only in-order execution with no HT logic, making it slow but unique in its way. but I remember the Intel/PowerVR graphic had problems in newer os and it only has PCI old connector I'd use with a FX 5200 PCI. Instead using the GT610 with latest 390 drivers on the AMD E350 too I'd say it's quite impressive. Maybe this vga is too much for a 20W cpu/mobo system considering the gpu should need 30W itself and maybe it has not much sense in Linux.

Reply 4 of 7, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SPBHM wrote:

the e350 is a decent amount better AFAIK,
and the difference in quality of the IGP is massive.

Thanks, only problem is latest proprietary ubuntu drivers are of 2015 for 14.04 and remains the open source one.

Reply 5 of 7, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

R600 OSS drivers are pretty much caught up with the proprietary ones. At this point, the only reason to go with the FGLRX drivers is if you need vendor support for a particular application.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 6 of 7, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gdjacobs wrote:

R600 OSS drivers are pretty much caught up with the proprietary ones. At this point, the only reason to go with the FGLRX drivers is if you need vendor support for a particular application.

I always choosed the open drivers cause it always were stable and automatically installed but going to say that with the GT610 and the proprietary nvidia drivers there was indeed some difference in general speed and gpu control (beside the absurd temperatures of the passive card) so if modern drivers existed could have been good to test but I don't think the latest 2015-14.04 version drivers could work in a 19.04-kernel_5.x enviroment. And as imagined the proprietary drivers tool of Ubuntu says no drivers available.

I am testin right now latest LxQt/19.04 version with 5.x kernel and impressed it works really well with the HD6310 gpu.

Reply 7 of 7, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
386SX wrote:
gdjacobs wrote:

I always choosed the open drivers cause it always were stable and automatically installed but going to say that with the GT610 and the proprietary nvidia drivers there was indeed some difference in general speed and gpu control (beside the absurd temperatures of the passive card) so if modern drivers existed could have been good to test but I don't think the latest 2015-14.04 version drivers could work in a 19.04-kernel_5.x enviroment. And as imagined the proprietary drivers tool of Ubuntu says no drivers available.

I am testin right now latest LxQt/19.04 version with 5.x kernel and impressed it works really well with the HD6310 gpu.

NVidia is a different kettle of fish. AMD provides resources and information for OSS graphics driver development.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder