VOGONS

First post, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I decided on three systems I'd use for all my DOS/early W9X needs but I'd like to cut down the time and fiddling it takes to swap between PCs. Power leads are no problem and neither is audio (I got plenty of splitters and as long as you don't have two systems on at the same time, they work real well) but that leaves the mouse, keyboard and monitor.

Thing is, these "old school" KVMs are no longer easily available - does anyone know of a place in Europe that still sells solid ones that are preferably not bulky? I can go Aliexpress but there's so few reviews since this is a niche product and they're not that cheap that I want to take a gamble on some crappy Chinese brand ... still perhaps as a last ditch solution:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32812523609.html

Retro game fanatic.
IBM PS1 386SX25 - 4MB
IBM Aptiva 486SX33 - 8MB - 2GB CF - SB16
IBM PC350 P233MMX - 64MB - 32GB SSD - AWE64 - Voodoo2
PIII600 - 320MB - 480GB SSD - SB Live! - GF4 Ti 4200
i5-2500k - 3GB - SB Audigy 2 - HD 4870

Reply 1 of 8, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have D-link DKVM-4K (4 port), Trendnet TK400 (4 port) and TK200 (2 port) that I don't mind parting with, all collect dust since I started to use an 8port thing. You need to get your own cables though, I have no spares at all.
The same things on ebay can be had for pretty good prices even when new and then you get 2 cables also. Cables themselves might be expensive enough that two new things cost less than the KVM and separate cables...

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 2 of 8, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tiido wrote:

I have D-link DKVM-4K (4 port), Trendnet TK400 (4 port) and TK200 (2 port) that I don't mind parting with, all collect dust since I started to use an 8port thing. You need to get your own cables though, I have no spares at all.
The same things on ebay can be had for pretty good prices even when new and then you get 2 cables also. Cables themselves might be expensive enough that two new things cost less than the KVM and separate cables...

Stupid me hadn't thought of eBay - it seems there's many Belkin 2-port ones available with cables included for little money and you're right: the cables themselves are easily more expensive to buy separately. I also reconsidered and will stick with 2 PCs on the KVM - going to take out my Aptiva 486 since its only a very few games that run too fast on my Pentium 70 if I disable cache.

Retro game fanatic.
IBM PS1 386SX25 - 4MB

Reply 3 of 8, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeh personally I prefer KVM's that have standard connectors on the KVM end like Tiido's D-link as you can just use standard vga cables or ps2 extension cables over the one you linked that uses a 3 in 1 style connector. but that does increase bulk.

I'd also recommend getting one with more ports then you need, I've out grown mine and sounds like Tiido has as well, Better to have unused ports now then have to replace or daisy chain then in a few years.

Reply 4 of 8, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm generally a big fan of Aten's KVM switches. Had a few of them the last decades, and they've always worked perfectly.

The CS62A should fit your bill. Since the cables are fixed, you don't have to worry about that either. The only downside is that it's got no remote control or buttons, the only way to switch inputs is by keyboard combinations. Otherwise Aten got lots of different models in the VGA/PS2 range.

Using a Black Box Servswitch Jr. for my retro machines nowadays, since need for a third port arose. As someone else on the forum put it before, it's like a dirty girl, taking everything you give it. No problems whatsoever with exotic equipment, and there's even a DIN connector for AT keyboards. Also, it uses regular DB25 connectors for the KVM cables, and those are well documented, it's easy enough to make your own cables if needed. It won't switch audio, but since I never use more than one retro rig at once anyways, I've just connected all of them to the same speakers through a separate mixer, so that's not really a problem.

Reply 5 of 8, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chinny22 wrote:

I'd also recommend getting one with more ports then you need, I've out grown mine and sounds like Tiido has as well, Better to have unused ports now then have to replace or daisy chain then in a few years.

True but the two PCs that would be hooked up cover 10 years and the PC before and after that use different connectors so it's unlikely I'll need to hook up a third 😀. I have three PCs that use USB and DVI/HDMI which I'll need a KVM for as well but that will be easier since they sell those everywhere.

Retro game fanatic.
IBM PS1 386SX25 - 4MB

Reply 6 of 8, by manbearpig

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have this: https://www.microcenter.com/product/219291/mi … built-in-cables

Has 1/8" stereo jacks for switching sound too. Not sure how hard it would be to get in Europe though.

Premio 212B motherboard (MSI MS-6112)
Intel PentiumII 333MHz Slot 1 66MHz bus
384MB ECC 66MHz
SIIG ATA133 controller --> Seagate Barracuda 80GB
SIIG Gigabit Ethernet (RTL8169) / USB 2.0 / IEEE1394 controller
ESS 1869 soundcard on board wavetable synth

Reply 7 of 8, by BaronSFel001

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
manbearpig wrote:

I have this: https://www.microcenter.com/product/219291/mi … built-in-cables

Has 1/8" stereo jacks for switching sound too. Not sure how hard it would be to get in Europe though.

I'm considering that one myself and am curious how the display quality (preferably in CRT) is.

System 20: PIII 600, LAPC-I, AWE64, S220, Voodoo3, SQ2500, R200, 3.1-Me
System 21: G2030 3.0, X-fi Fatal1ty, GTX 560, XP-Vista
Retro gaming (among other subjects): https://baronsfel001.wixsite.com/my-site

Reply 8 of 8, by manbearpig

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Can't help you there, I'm using it with a pull out rackmount LCD/keyboard/touchpad combo

Premio 212B motherboard (MSI MS-6112)
Intel PentiumII 333MHz Slot 1 66MHz bus
384MB ECC 66MHz
SIIG ATA133 controller --> Seagate Barracuda 80GB
SIIG Gigabit Ethernet (RTL8169) / USB 2.0 / IEEE1394 controller
ESS 1869 soundcard on board wavetable synth