VOGONS

First post, by precaud

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Continuing my basement cleanup, and just found a box of MFM drives from the 80's and 90's. Interestingly, the Seagates (ST225 and ST251) all booted up fine and the data is intact! Nearly 30 years of data retention...

But a couple other brands didn't fare as well, and need a low-level format. The controller is a WD1003V-MM2 which has no Bios, so there's no LLF routine to access via Debug.

There must be a utility out there for this? I've searched and come up empty.

Reply 2 of 13, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Many BIOSes from the 286/386 era have LLF option.
If your doesn't, then there's HDINIT.EXE from Checkit 3.0 package, Speed Stor, and many others.

Nie tylko, jak widzicie, w tym trudność, że nie zdołacie wejść na moją górę, lecz i w tym, że ja do was cały zejść nie mogę, gdyż schodząc, gubię po drodze to, co miałem donieść.

Reply 6 of 13, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
precaud wrote:

What's a reasonable "default" interleave for a 42mb 3.5" MFM? I don't want to obsess over this, just get it working well. 3, perhaps?

3 is a good point to start.
Then you can run eg. Calibrate from Norton Utilites - it can detect the optimal interleave.
Or simply run any HDD benchmark, if the transfer rate is around 30 KB/s you need to reformat with greater interleave.

Nie tylko, jak widzicie, w tym trudność, że nie zdołacie wejść na moją górę, lecz i w tym, że ja do was cały zejść nie mogę, gdyż schodząc, gubię po drodze to, co miałem donieść.

Reply 8 of 13, by precaud

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for you help, guys. Of the seven HDD's tested / LLF'ed (all were MFM made in 1980's), two had excessive bad sectors and will be tossed, two were ok, and three were exceptional. The three exceptional ones were all Seagates. Makes me think that their platter technology was better than the others...

Reply 9 of 13, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Do a teardown of the bad drives and post pics.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 11 of 13, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I simply use AMIBIOS low level format in diagnostic section of the setup. Works fine.
Funny thing is I managed to fix couple of problematic ST157A-s (IDE HDD! and it states on the sticker on the drive to not LLF it at all!) using this util as well. After reformatting the drives suddenly started working. Although I had to use native CHS layout instead of translation one.

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 12 of 13, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Not really. I just want to see a teardown of an MFM drive since I've never had the chance to take one apart.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 13 of 13, by precaud

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cyclone3d wrote:

Not really. I just want to see a teardown of an MFM drive since I've never had the chance to take one apart.

Here's the innards. This one is a Toshiba MK134FA 42MB MFM drive with four platters, seven heads. Not sure what if anything they do with the 8th surface. There is definite discoloration of the surface where the heads spend the most time. The errors were concentrated there, as well. I would say, this drive saw heavy use beore I got it.

The heads are moved across the platter surface by the little stepper motor in the bottom left of the 1st pic. The actuating length (motor to arm) seems pretty long to me, a possible source of errors.

Attachments

• MK134FA2.jpg
    Filename
    MK134FA2.jpg
    File size
    196.27 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • MK134FA1.jpg
    Filename
    MK134FA1.jpg