VOGONS

First post, by egbertjan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I am looking for a quieter cooler for my Socket 370- Pentium 3 1.4GHZ tualatin. The standard Intel cooler that is now on makes quite a lot of noise. Maybe someone knows if there are also cooling blocks where you can replace the fan, so that I can look for a quieter fan or coolers with fans that are still available that much be quieter?
Who can help me with this and tell you what the best solution is to reduce noise?

Reply 1 of 6, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Every now and then you can find NOS 'Arctic Cooling Copper Silent 3' (sometimes 'Copper Lite') coolers.
It needs a bit more space around the socket and the retention clip may have to be modified from 3 point to two point but it's silent and more than enough for any PIII plus mounting pressure can be adjusted with a screw and you can open the top to oil the bearing.

Reply 2 of 6, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Getting a big and quiet cooler is one option, but finding a halfway decent Socket 370/A cooler now can be difficult, thanks for the pointer Doornkat 😀

My preferred solution is to add in a temperature controller, this and a slower/bigger fan makes the system much more tolerable:

denoised-speed-controller.png
Filename
denoised-speed-controller.png
File size
783.91 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Ebay Link for the cheapest one I can find
Just search for a "Denoised" fan controller. There's a little bit of setup required to get the base temp and fan curve set, but doing it this way also means it works in DOS.

Last edited by Thermalwrong on 2019-09-21, 18:21. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 3 of 6, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Antec made a pretty nice and not loud one. I bought a few a while back because they are of thin-fin design and work very well.

There are a few on eBay right now. Just search for:
Antec 370 cooler

If you want to reduce the fan speed, you can either get a temp controller or a manual controller.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 5 of 6, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Doornkaat wrote:

The Antec cooler is also a good suggestion since it's avaliable. Is it compatible with the thick Tualatin heatspreader?

Should be as I have also used them on Socket 7 systems with K6-2 CPUs. If the bracket seems a little too tight, you can always bend it a bit to make it not so tight.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 6 of 6, by Lazar81

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I use a startech cooler. When it runs in full power it is very noisy. So I build in a silent adapter from noctua. It reduces voltage so the ventilator does less speed. Temperature seem to be okay - even after playing several hours. And the noise is really low now.

Ryzen 5 2600X - ASUS ROG STRIX X470-F Gaming - 32GB RAM - Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti