VOGONS

First post, by lowlytech

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a trident VLB card.., i know 🙁 Looking to upgrade the memory on it and I thought the board had 512kb of VRAM, but now I am starting to doubt myself and think it has 1MB onboard. So I guess an upgrade would get it to 2MB if this was the case. Can anyone confirm how much VRAM is currently on the card and what chips I would need to bump it up. The card currently has 8 chips "tms44c256dj"

This is the link I am thinking that is the correct memory, basically 2 of these would make 1MB, correct??
Thanks..

20191123_195225 (Large).jpg
Filename
20191123_195225 (Large).jpg
File size
354.18 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by Stiletto on 2020-03-02, 06:49. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 4, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Those memory chips should work perfectly, just pay attention to Pin1 on both socket and the chip or there will be destruction.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 2 of 4, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tiido wrote:

just pay attention to Pin1 on both socket and the chip or there will be destruction.

One edge of these chips is always angular so normally you can't insert them the wrong way - they won't fit into the socket.

Reply 3 of 4, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That is true on PLCC chips but SOJ are perfectly symmetrical and there's nothing stopping you from inserting them the wrong way. I have seen plenty of burned sockets and memory chips, all from someone inserting the chip wrong way.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 4 of 4, by lowlytech

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks Tiido, got the chips on the way. Thanks for the orientation reminder as well. Will make sure I don't schrute it and put the chips in backward.