VOGONS

First post, by dan86

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So I came by this VT59088 motherboard on ebay.
Given its not in the USA and the price I'm passing on it, but I can't help but to want to know more about it. Sadly I can't find anything about it online.
Dose anyone here have info on the VT59088 board? Its very interesting looking. A 600mhz VIA Eden CPU on a full ATX board with PCI and AGP. And the 4 pin CPU power connector for such a low wattage CPU. Very different.

Last edited by Stiletto on 2020-03-02, 06:45. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 7, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Very strange indeed. It has SATA and the layout and components around the CPU area look much later than the CPU would indicate, but it also has an AMR slot. The super low powered CPU and electrolytic caps make me think its an extremely low budget board, but the caps aren't swollen... so it's either post-capacitor plague era (2008 or newer) with an extremely slow CPU, or it is actually from 2002-2007 but it isn't super low budget (so it has decent caps). Either situation makes it really strange. The fact that it says "Motherboard" screen printed on the heatsink just makes it even more confusing. Why bother? 🤣

Can't imagine a situation where such a large, expandable board would be needed for a system in the mid 2000s with an ultra low power CPU that is probably bested by a 400Mhz Pentium II.

Unless it was designed specifically as a replacement for older motherboards for industrial or business purposes...

😕 😕 😕 😕

EDIT: Not the same board, but the closest I could find: http://www.dfi-itox.com/pages/products/mother … ntrol/GVPC3.php

Last edited by Ozzuneoj on 2019-11-27, 19:12. Edited 1 time in total.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 2 of 7, by dan86

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It sure is an odd mix of parts. I did not see the sata ports. Now that I take a second look at it whats up with the 3rd IDE port and sata port down at the bottom of the board? Is that VIA chip above it a IDE/STAT controller? I can't make it out from the photos.

I do vaguely recall a board like that being made for the eden X2 for reviews, but I thought it had PCI-E.
My guise is that VIA made it for testing or review.

Reply 4 of 7, by dan86

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ShovelKnight wrote:

It’s made by VIA themselves.

I also believe this.

ShovelKnight wrote:

I would imagine it’s an industrial board for some sort of application which doesn’t require a lot of horsepower.

But why the AGP and AMR slot? The CD audo headers also are out of place for industrial applications. And the 4 pin CPU header? If its a 600mhz Eden it pulls less then 10w

Reply 5 of 7, by computerguy08

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Looking at the image I can notice the unusual southbridge with the shiny round heat spreader, which came bundled with socket 478 or some socket A boards (e.g. VT8237A)
Typically, you will find normal BGA southbridges (e.g. VT8235) on Pentium III or VIA C3/EDEN boards.

Also, the I/O layout closely resembles a socket 478/early LGA775 board, with plenty of USB ports, onboard VGA below the printer port, 3 vertical audio ports and a missing game port (usually found on Socket 370 era boards)

My guess is that it may be a industrial board or a prototype (not sure yet tbh).

Reply 7 of 7, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote:

Think it actually says "Mainboard" on the heatsink which is a branding line they've used on their low power & embedded ranges (EPIA / PC-1)

Oops, yeah, I read that and then typed motherboard. Still kind of hokey. 😊

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.