VOGONS

First post, by pewpewpew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

"...(with the use of 20-to-24 pin adapter cable)"

Perhaps I'm being thick, but I'm not sure what Nexus is up to with that statement. It seems wrong.

This 2004 NX-4090 has 20pin & the P4 4-pin only. Nexus promoted it as "ATX 2.0 Compatible" with an adapter. Which they state is sold separately, and then don't actually offer to sell you themselves.

Digging in wayback, I see this adapter & the claim of compatiblity does not get included on the NX-4090 page until Jan-2005. The page is updated again between Jul-2005 & Jan-2006 to "ATX 2.1 with 20+4=24-pin connector."
https://web.archive.org/web/20050130050551/ht … l:80/nx4090.htm

2004 review, for interest.
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article204-page1.html

Nexus shows a small image of the adapter cable, but that may be more decorative than accurate. A simple 20-to-24 as shown doesn't make sense. If the current can be too much for a single pin at the board, then it will also be too much at the single pin in that connector. You want to run wires right back to the rail, don't you?

I'm thinking of converting a molex instead, for three of the four missing pins. But that leaves the 3.3v unpopulated. Can this matter? It's like it was included to cover the possibility of SLI AGP. Is there something else that could have used outrageous amounts of 3.3?

EDIT: Oh, got that bit wrong. The 3.3 added by the 24 is not additional supply. It replaces the 3.3 of the eliminated 6-pin. So to provide for the missing 4 pins I'll need to adapt a sata plug.

Last edited by pewpewpew on 2019-12-24, 19:05. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1 of 1, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Frankly after reading that I'm not sure what your question is.
You didn't say anything about what you are trying to power with the PSU. - So??? what to tell you.

The ATX 1.x to 2.x transition was about CPUs going from +5v power to +12v power and the changes had to do with which rails got how much power.
"ATX 2.0 Compatible" most likely just means it doesn't have a wimpy +12v rail so it can handle a P4.

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.