VOGONS

First post, by FrankDM

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I installed win98se a few times over the course of the last few days. Everything working fine. Today I did the same and during first boot it suddenly throws me the error:
Write fault error writing device AUX".

Formatted, reinstalled same thing...

I dont understand as I do the same steps with the same installation media and same hardware.. booting in safe mode works.. what could be causing this?

Reply 1 of 18, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

"device AUX" may mean RAM. Sometimes it does. Sometimes not.
Make sure your RAM is seated properly by pulling and reinstalling it then try again.
If it doesn't work then check the RAM with memtest.

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 2 of 18, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Another reason could be mouse driver or issue with a COM port. What motherboard and what mouse are you using ?

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 3 of 18, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Horun wrote:

Another reason could be mouse driver or issue with a COM port. What motherboard and what mouse are you using ?

Honest question. I'm trying to see where you're coming from...
What would the system be trying to write to a mouse or COM port?

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 4 of 18, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

https://www.cnet.com/forums/discussions/boot- … r-message-2201/
the OP in that thread had same error, and his worked fine in Safe mode but not regular Win98 also. His last post on the page he said it was his mouse driver.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 5 of 18, by FrankDM

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Horun wrote:

https://www.cnet.com/forums/discussions/boot- … r-message-2201/
the OP in that thread had same error, and his worked fine in Safe mode but not regular Win98 also. His last post on the page he said it was his mouse driver.

But I am testing with 100% clean installs tgat worked before. I did not install anythng yet as I never got to fully boot even once. Ill try with unplugging the mouse. It is not the ram.. triedmovibg them around. Other sticks
. Even tried with using SDRam instead of DDR all same result.

Reply 6 of 18, by FrankDM

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried a 100 different "selective boot" options and eveything boots me straight to the "it is now safe to turn of your computer" except when I say "no" to loading DBLBUFF.SYS and "no" to loading windows drivers. Then it boots me to safe mode. Just saying no to either one on its own is not enough. Need to say no to both the sys file and the load win driver question. Everything else I said "yes" to load. Is this usefull information?

Reply 7 of 18, by FrankDM

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Major breakthrough.. I enabled (to mostly disable) everything in the msconfig advanced tab and I boot in normal mode... I have no clue what all this stuff means so now I will deselect options until I break boot...

Reply 8 of 18, by FrankDM

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay so the one option that is required to be enabled in msconfig/advanced is the following:

"Force compatibilty mode disk access"

The question now becomes... what does this setting do? Why do I suddenly need to enable it and can I fix it?

Reply 9 of 18, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That forces Windows to run ATA compatible IDE drivers not the standard Enhanced/Protected mode drivers iirc.
Sounds like you need proper IDE controller and chipset drivers.

Reply 10 of 18, by FrankDM

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Horun wrote:

That forces Windows to run ATA compatible IDE drivers not the standard Enhanced/Protected mode drivers iirc.

Well going to do a fresh install, enable the option, install all my drivers and hope that allows me to then disable the option. If that works I am saved... but I still find it really odd that I suddenly get this problem without having changed any hardware from one clean format c to the next..

Reply 11 of 18, by FrankDM

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Horun wrote:

Reinstalled, installed my motherboard and gpu driver as I always do. Same problem. Went into decice properties and I have exclemation marks for:

"Standard floppy disk controller"
"Primary bus master ide controller (dual fifo)"
"Secondary ide controller (dual fifo)"

I never had this before. Cant locate drivers on the win98se cdrom.

But it dawns on me tvat I connected a 5.25 inch really old drive to the floppy controller to test if it worked. The ide cable of that floppy wasnt like a normal 1.44" disk drive. It had all the pins on both rows (all my diskette drives here are missing at least one pin). The drive worked half. It showed the light when seeking and made noise but it could not read anything... now that I think about it my win98se never worked anymore since. (I did the testing on a win95 partition but same drive, same system).

Is it at all possible that 5.25inch floppy drive somehow damaged my motherboard ide/floppy controller???

Reply 12 of 18, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Err... wait. You connected a floppy drive, tried to read a disk and since that your Win98 system only boots with "compatibilty mode" disk access? I know this very well, because I faced it *many* times back then. Say welcome to a boot sector virus, because that's what you have now on your hard disk.

Boot into Linux and completely erase the hard disk. After that, re-install Windows. And whatever floppy disk you tried reading, don't do it again with a DOS-based OS.

Reply 13 of 18, by FrankDM

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
derSammler wrote:

Err... wait. You connected a floppy drive, tried to read a disk and since that your Win98 system only boots with "compatibilty mode" disk access? I know this very well, because I faced it *many* times back then. Say welcome to a boot sector virus, because that's what you have now on your hard disk.

Boot into Linux and completely erase the hard disk. After that, re-install Windows. And whatever floppy disk you tried reading, don't do it again with a DOS-based OS.

I tested this theory with using a totally different hard drive that never touched the system before. Naturally removed the old one. Installed 98se and same problem. I will now do the thing you said but I fear this is not the issue. I don't think the old drive ever read anything as the disc did not spin when putting the "head" down. Only when putting the floppy in it span (so before putting the reading head down). I really fear that the drive somehow gave to much power to the motherboard or somethibg and fried the ide controller... not sure if that is possible .. not sure if it is posible that all my drives would then suddenly only work in dos mode but really.. I dont understand what is wrong. But I will do what you say just to eliminate it completely.

Reply 14 of 18, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I tested this theory with using a totally different hard drive that never touched the system before. Naturally removed the old one. Installed 98se and same problem.

Did you boot the system from CD-ROM? If you use any floppy disk you had inserted since the problem first arose, you may not get rid of the virus even when using a different hard disk.

Reply 15 of 18, by FrankDM

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
derSammler wrote:

I tested this theory with using a totally different hard drive that never touched the system before. Naturally removed the old one. Installed 98se and same problem.

Did you boot the system from CD-ROM? If you use any floppy disk you had inserted since the problem first arose, you may not get rid of the virus even when using a different hard disk.

I dis use cdrom to install yes and the cdrom was present when I tried the 5.25 floppy. Is my cdrom destroyed? Can i still fix this? I also used like 15 or so 1.44 disks as that is my main method of getting data to the machine. (Its a multiboot i am tryibg to set up so used diskettes to transfer dos, wibdows 3.1, boot disks etc.. if everything is infected then how on earth am i going to fix this 🙁

Reply 17 of 18, by FrankDM

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
derSammler wrote:

First, try with the CD-ROM only and the hard disk erased with Linux. Report back then after that.

Just to be sure. You want me to install linux on that drive inside the infected machine right? I never installed or used linux but know a little about it.. what distribution should I install?

Reply 18 of 18, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You can download a linux "live" version that will boot and run off a DVD ROM or thumb drive, all Linux flavors have disk utilities built in to them. Ubuntu is good choice since it is natively live.