VOGONS

Can watch 1080 on Pentium III?

Topic actions

Reply 80 of 94, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Alright well On a fully Patched XP in VMWare, I was able to get PotPlayer 1.6.63262.exe SSE 1 only to open Youtube and play it(last version to run on pentium 3). I do not know if it is because Vanilla XPsp3 I used before is missing a patch or whatnot. Needs to be further investigated.

It's also too bad that my broadcom card is 4 hours away, and I wont be getting it anytime soon. I really want to see if watching youtube on like a 800mhz single Pentium 3 is possible with that.

Other thing if it is an update I want to figure out exactly what it is. And I wonder if I can find an older version of pot player that uses less ram but still does what I need.

Lastly I want it to be a working solution on windows 2000 not XP.

Reply 82 of 94, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm pleased to report that I was able to get the Broadcom Crystal HD card working on my Opteron 185 system using a Startech PCIe-to-PCI adapter card.

I think the issue with Potplayer playing my iphone videos rotated 90 or 180 degrees has to do with the orientation tag written to the *.mov file by the iPhone SE's hardware/software. I recall my wife having this issue with her iPhone 6; I remember my wife finding a workaround, but I can never seem to remember it. Has something to do with the orientation of the phone when opening the camera program while in lock mode, or something along those lines.

Anyway, it appears as if VLC has some orientation detection script that is more sophisticated that just looking at the tag orientation information in the mov file. My personal workaround is to use the ALT-K keyboard shortcut in Potplayer to rotate the videos while playing. Sometimes the videos are upside down and you need to press ALK-K-K. Potplay doesn't remember the orientation I selected for each video (though google suggest that VLC can remember this), so when switching from camera mp4 videos to iphone mov videos, I must ALK-K again.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 83 of 94, by Fujoshi-hime

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
appiah4 wrote:
Standard Def Steve wrote:

My PIII-S at 1.63GHz can do 720p H.264 (5.5mbps, level 4.1) in software using CoreAVC and MPC-HC. CPU usage ranges between 65-90%. I'm pretty sure that if I installed a video card with hardware 264 decoding it would easily handle 1080p.

Are there any AGP cards with decent H264 decoding? Off the top of my mind the ATI HD3000/HD400 AGP series cards could do this, I suppose? And IIRC you need HD4000 for YouTube acceleration regardless.

I for sure used an AGP Radeon HD4650 for 1080p h264 decoding in one of my early 'spare parts' HTPCs, but that was using Win7, never tried it on XP.

In retrospect, I shoulda saved that card, it apparently became somewhat sought after.

Reply 84 of 94, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

By the way, Catalyst 9.11 allowed YouTube Flash acceleration for HD 3000 and possibly HD 2000. It had a somewhat flaky but operational implementation of running video via ATI Stream (GPU Compute API).

I don't know if it will do anything for HTML5 video players though.

It apparently was an accident to support those generations because their GPGPU capabilities are very limited but it did work with some glitches. As far as I know that was the only driver that allowed it.

Reply 85 of 94, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

to add to that, what we/I were are disusing was using streaming youtube to a player like pot player that supports hardware decoding through Direct Show Filters. Offloading decoding H264 to a crystal HD or perhaps some video card or other device that supports that. So that watching of HD on like a Pentium III is possible becasue the CPU is not powerful enough to decode h264 through software.

Its possible and it does work. But the thread doesn't have much testing or information, except from me, and unfortunately I am not in a position to do further testing or documentation. It basically costs around 20-50 dollars to do this. You need a PCI to PCI-E adapter + a pci-e 1x to mini pci -e to Crystal HD.

The major hurdle of this is that to watch 1080 Blueray Quality requires A really fast GPU like a 9800 Pro and really high memory bandwidth like I840 Rdram or High end Tualatin Builds. However Id suspect Lower bitrate youtube 1080 is possible on less extreme hardware without stutter. you defiantly need SSD.

Reply 87 of 94, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I finally got around to trying out my Crystal HD in my dual Tualatin 1.4 GHz system with PCI-X slots. I'm using a noname PCIe-to-PCI adapter from China because a) I already have the Startech branded adapter in my Opteron 185 system, b) noname can accept x16 cards, while the Startech is limted to x1, and c) noname cheaper. And I figured it might be fun to try a PCIe x16 graphics card in a PCI-X 64-bit/66 MHz slot in the future.

Noname_bridge_converter.jpg
Filename
Noname_bridge_converter.jpg
File size
229.54 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Unfortunately, due to the placement of the PCI-X 66 MHz slots, being next to the AGP slot, I cannot use one of the two 66 MHz slots if I am using a double wide AGP graphics card, which I am. And the other 66 MHz PCI-X slot is being consumed by the Ultra320 RAID controller. I'm left with the option to place the Crystal HD into a 33 MHz PCI-X slot, so that is what I've done.

Dual_Tualatin_slots.jpg
Filename
Dual_Tualatin_slots.jpg
File size
475.94 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

From my tests done using the Startech+Crystal HD on my Opteron 185 system, I've determined that the AVC1 video decoder which plays the mp4 videos from my camera and mov files from my iphone. I am using Pot Player v1.6.63262 as it was noted previously that this is the last revision to support SSE1-only processors. The Crystal HD (Broadcom) gets detected fine by the system and the drivers install without incident, however using the built-in software decoders vs. that of the Crystal HD had absolutely no effect on playback speed or CPU consumption. CPU consumption is at 100% on both processors and with both software and Broadcom hardware decoders. The software playback speed was just as lagged in software and Broadcom hardware playback modes. Sure seems like the Broadcom device isn't functioning well.

On my Opteron 185 system, CPU load drops from 100% to 28% when using the Broadcom device. Could the Tualatin be just too slow for the Broadcom decoder to work properly? Perhaps some lag getting between the PCI-X bus and the graphics card on the AGP port?

Reply 90 of 94, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
feipoa wrote on 2020-01-25, 21:49:

What player is that in the screenshot? Media Player Classic?

Media player classic home cinema, not sure on the version but last version that would run without sse2, you do know that in the progam files folder of the driver there is a tray app that can be manually started that change color or light up when the card is in use?

Reply 91 of 94, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nope, didn't know that.

Media Player Classic? I thought you were doing your tests with Pot Player?

Is the system up and running? If so, the About field should reveal the player version of MPC.

EDIT: It appears that v1.7.11.41 is the latest for SSE1 for MPC Home Cinema. For MPC Black Edition, needs to be prior to 1.5.0, so perhaps 1.4.6.

Last edited by feipoa on 2020-01-26, 07:40. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 93 of 94, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have one of those adapters. My idea was to try putting a PCIe x1 GT 710 into one of my Dell GX1 machines as an upgrade to the 9500GT that is in it. I never got around to it, though.The GT 710 is faster than the 9500GT, but not as fast as a GT430. PCI GT430's are too hard to find now, but the PCIe x1 GT 710's are relatively easy to find.

Reply 94 of 94, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It seems that v1.7.11.41 of MPC-HC requires SSE2, but v1.7.11 does not.

MPE-BE v1.4.6 works with SSE1. I added the Broadcom as an external filter, but the CPU load doesn't decrease .

Warlord, have you tried playing *.mov files from an iPhone?