VOGONS

First post, by Synaps3

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I've got a Pentium III system that I am working on. It's got an UltraDMA100 IDE controller.

For performance and reliability, what is your opinion on the best storage medium that is not a traditional hard drive?

IDE to CF adapter
IDE to SATA adapter with SSD
IDE to SD card adapter
Real IDE SSD drive

Which way am I likely to see the best performance? I'm also wondering if the newest CF cards will be compatible considering that they don't use a converter chip and interface directly with the IDE.

Systems:
BOARD | RAM | CPU | GPU
ASUS CUV4X-D | 2GB | 2 x PIII Tualatin ~1.5 GHz | Radeon HD 4650
DELL DIMENSION XPS 466V | 64MB | AMD 5x86 133MHz | Number Nine Ticket to Ride
Sergey Kiselev's Micro8088 10MHz | 640KB | Trident VGA

Reply 1 of 3, by flupke11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A good quality ide-to-sata adapter with a 128 GB SSD is IMHO the best but probably overkill. On my P4 rdram system I have a ide to sata adapter and a 300 GB Velociraptor, and it delivers the same fluent user experience as an ssd as far as Win98 is concerned.

Reply 3 of 3, by Synaps3

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
konc wrote on 2020-02-24, 18:39:

You're looking for best performance and reliability so the answer is straight forward, a modern small capacity SDD + adapter.

It was not immediately clear to me because I don't know if those adapters have a bottleneck. Will they essentially operate as fast as the IDE bus allows or are they like the SD card adapters with a decrease in performance?

Systems:
BOARD | RAM | CPU | GPU
ASUS CUV4X-D | 2GB | 2 x PIII Tualatin ~1.5 GHz | Radeon HD 4650
DELL DIMENSION XPS 466V | 64MB | AMD 5x86 133MHz | Number Nine Ticket to Ride
Sergey Kiselev's Micro8088 10MHz | 640KB | Trident VGA