VOGONS

First post, by athlon-power

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I recently acquired a Packard Bell Pack-Mate 7130 (Pentium 120, 16MB RAM, 1.2GB HDD, 8x CD-ROM). The person who owned it before me managed to get it started up, tested, it worked just fine, and I bought it for US $100. I got it home, wiped the hard drive, installed Windows 95, and when it booted into Windows, the CD-ROM didn't show up. I left it for today, and after switching devices around, I found that the secondary IDE Port no longer works. Period. Doesn't matter what cable you use. The BIOS doesn't see anything plugged into the secondary IDE channel, only anything plugged into the primary. The CD-ROM works just fine on the primary IDE channel.

I took it apart, cleaned it, and every surface in there is dust-free now. The PSU fan was cleaned and oiled, the PSU was cleaned, so it's theoretically restored.

I've reset the BIOS and also made sure that the port wasn't disabled in BIOS, which it wasn't. No jumpers were moved on the motherboard. I'm out of ideas, and this is very frustrating considering that I just dumped $100 on this computer.

Where am I?

Reply 1 of 1, by Mister Xiado

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

No loose pins? Possible cracked solder joint on the underside of the board? Only physical issues that come to mind for me.

b_ldnt2.gif - Where it's always 1995.
Icons, wallpapers, and typical Oldternet nonsense.