VOGONS

First post, by bearking

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi to all,

I need a little bit of help from you, can someone tell me if these memory modules are indeed COASt module?
Here is the picture from the seller...

Capture.PNG
Filename
Capture.PNG
File size
575.75 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Thank a lot!

Reply 1 of 6, by bofh.fromhell

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yup, looks like.
Don't bet on them working on anything but the intended hardware tho.
They might, and chances are they will, but then again they might not.
Then again, if the price is right =)

Reply 3 of 6, by EvieSigma

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I can't see all the modules but just be aware that Macs of the time also used COAST modules of the form factor seen on the right (gold pins with a single break between them), and those probably don't work with PCs.

Reply 5 of 6, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bofh.fromhell wrote on 2020-03-17, 14:11:
Yup, looks like. Don't bet on them working on anything but the intended hardware tho. They might, and chances are they will, but […]
Show full quote

Yup, looks like.
Don't bet on them working on anything but the intended hardware tho.
They might, and chances are they will, but then again they might not.
Then again, if the price is right =)

I thought only PCChips made a different COAST module using the same form factor.

I can't see all the modules but just be aware that Macs of the time also used COAST modules of the form factor seen on the right (gold pins with a single break between them), and those probably don't work with PCs.

They all have a single break on the right, even on PC, right ? Or did I miss something ?

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 6 of 6, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

PC Chips made the only ones which will burn the mainboard when using a wrong one. 😉

Octek made its own ones, too. Normally, however, most follow the same standard and if not, they simply don't work.