VOGONS

First post, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The ASUS PCI/I-P54SP4 that i have here uses a power selection to set the voltage requirements for the processor..

Now there are three options to make use of.

One is p54c p90, second is p54c P100 and third is Reserved.

My question is> Why are there special 3 options to choose from? I always though that power settings for the pentium classic (non mmx) would be equal to each other. (at least till pentium 150 / 166 non mmx)
What does the Reserved options means? That very unclear to me what this would do..

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 1 of 3, by auron

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

asus has the manual for that board available, the p90 option here is really VR and p100 VRE. VR = 3.3-3.465V, VRE = 3.465-3.63V, according to intel spec anyway. the VRE thing is a bit overlooked and as i understand it, is really a primitive early form of what is now known as VID, where they would print the suitable voltage range as per die quality on the back of the CPU (SSS/VSS) and it had to be set manually on the motherboard. so the silkscreen on that board is a bit misleading as either of those speeds could come in VR/VRE variants, but maybe they simplified it on purpose. no idea what the reserved setting would do though.

also worth nothing that only the 1.5 version introduced that JP22.