VOGONS

Compaq Pentium 166

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 40, by Law212

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok, so I finally had some more time to dedicate to this stuff because of being temporarily laid off because of the corona virus. SO anyway I have kind of made some progress on the sound issues. I managed to install drivers for dos sb 16 emulation , and from what I tested so far, worked great. One problem I had was I was running everything through windows. So when I played Prince of Persia through windows, the music ran through the sound card, but the FX were using PC speaker.....

When I ran the game through DOS, all sounds were through the soundblaster and it was much better. Duke 3D still has an issue where sound fx wont work.
Also I ran into the fact that my cd-rom does is not recognized under DOS. so games that need the CD to run dont work..... I need to find a solution for this.

Also the mouse doesnt seem to work in DOS though my gravis gamepad does....

Reply 21 of 40, by Law212

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Doing this stuff brings me back to when I was a teen in the 90's though back then, I was so much better at this because I did it all the time.

Right now I'm trying to edit the autoexec.bat and config.sys to load up the CDrom when DOS starts , but I cant figure it out.
Does anyone know the commands to load up the CDrom? I have looked online for examples but none have worked.

Reply 23 of 40, by Law212

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
aha2940 wrote on 2020-04-09, 05:32:

- AUTOEXEC.BAT: “c:\dos\mscdex.exe /d:idecd000”
- CONFIG.SYS: “device=c:\vide-cdd.sys /d:idecd000”

Thanks, I will try this tomorrow morning .

Reply 24 of 40, by Law212

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

THis didnt work either.

Reply 25 of 40, by aha2940

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

OK, a question that I forgot to make before: is the data cable of your CDROM connected directly to the motherboard? or is it connected to the SB16 soundcard? also, what do you get on startup with the commands I told you? any errors?

Reply 27 of 40, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Law212 wrote on 2020-04-15, 02:33:

It connects to the sound card. I dont get any message at all when I boot into dos.

Wait a second, you are using a Sound Blaster Live! variant, right ?
These cards do not have CD-ROM controller interfaces on board . The only possible connection between a CD-ROM and this type of sound card is a two (digital) or four (analogue) pin cable to route audio to the sound card .

What model is your CD-ROM drive and what does its 40-pin ribbon cable connect to ?

Does the CD-ROM work under Windows ?

Reply 28 of 40, by Law212

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
darry wrote on 2020-04-15, 03:16:
Wait a second, you are using a Sound Blaster Live! variant, right ? These cards do not have CD-ROM controller interfaces on boar […]
Show full quote
Law212 wrote on 2020-04-15, 02:33:

It connects to the sound card. I dont get any message at all when I boot into dos.

Wait a second, you are using a Sound Blaster Live! variant, right ?
These cards do not have CD-ROM controller interfaces on board . The only possible connection between a CD-ROM and this type of sound card is a two (digital) or four (analogue) pin cable to route audio to the sound card .

What model is your CD-ROM drive and what does its 40-pin ribbon cable connect to ?

Does the CD-ROM work under Windows ?

Hi, Yes it works in windows. IT also works in dos, when I boot up with the win 98 boot disk. SO I figure, I should be able to copy something from the autoexec on the bootdisk right?

Reply 30 of 40, by Law212

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

SO I booted up with the boot disk, tried to run a game but it says mouse driver not found..... I need a god autoexec so al this stuff boots up.

ALso, I ran prince of Persia 2, and the audio cuts out. it will play the first few spoken lines at the start then cut off, and in game sometimes sound FX work and then they stop.

THough for now I want the autoexec and cd drive stuff sorted out.

Reply 31 of 40, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Law212 wrote on 2020-04-15, 18:49:

I'm using a oundblaster live 5.1 sb0100

The connector on that card is not for a CD-ROM, it's for the LiveDrive front panel.

Do not attempt to connect an IDE device to those pins.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 32 of 40, by Law212

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2020-04-15, 19:09:
Law212 wrote on 2020-04-15, 18:49:

I'm using a oundblaster live 5.1 sb0100

The connector on that card is not for a CD-ROM, it's for the LiveDrive front panel.

Do not attempt to connect an IDE device to those pins.

I dont have an IDE cable attached to it. Just the CD audio cable.

Reply 34 of 40, by Cobra42898

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Weird bios issues like that sometimes stem from a dying 2032 battery - if yours is old it may be time for a new one.
I've chased all kinds of weird crap like that only to have it be the battery.

Searching for Epson Actiontower 3000 486 PC.

Reply 35 of 40, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Law212 wrote on 2020-04-08, 22:20:
Ok, so I finally had some more time to dedicate to this stuff because of being temporarily laid off because of the corona virus. […]
Show full quote

Ok, so I finally had some more time to dedicate to this stuff because of being temporarily laid off because of the corona virus. SO anyway I have kind of made some progress on the sound issues. I managed to install drivers for dos sb 16 emulation , and from what I tested so far, worked great. One problem I had was I was running everything through windows. So when I played Prince of Persia through windows, the music ran through the sound card, but the FX were using PC speaker.....

When I ran the game through DOS, all sounds were through the soundblaster and it was much better. Duke 3D still has an issue where sound fx wont work.
Also I ran into the fact that my cd-rom does is not recognized under DOS. so games that need the CD to run dont work..... I need to find a solution for this.

Also the mouse doesnt seem to work in DOS though my gravis gamepad does....

Hello,

What exactly are you doing?
You write "When I ran the game through DOS, ...."
You are running Windows 98 SE, right?
So what do you mean?
Dos command prompt?
"Shutdown and restart MS-DOS"?
Or you have already a boot menu in your Windows 98 SE environment, where you only boot DOS 7.1 without starting Windows?

I would recommend, do not make any changes in config.sys and autoexec.bat of your Windows installation, I have seens several people here that completely messed it up.

You might try also the guide from PhilsHardwareLab, which utilizes the " restart in MS-DOS mode ". With that you don't make any changes in your original Windows 98 startup files.

Last edited by CoffeeOne on 2020-04-20, 18:26. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 36 of 40, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

He uses Windows 98 SE
Very likely there is no C:\dos on his harddisk.

Reply 37 of 40, by Law212

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes, it boots into windows 98, and I have to shut down to MS DOS prompt. I was able to get it to load soundblaster 16 emulation drivers when it boots to dos, but thats about it. No mouse support or cd rom support.

So I want to run DOS games from the DOS prompt as some dont work properly running from windows.

No there is no C:\DOS on my hard drive.

Reply 39 of 40, by Law212

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Murugan wrote on 2020-04-16, 06:41:

You Sir, are my hero. I didnt need to make the boot disk, but the commands shown in that thread worked. I have tried many similar to them but this is the one that worked. CD rom works in dos now. So does my sound, so does my mouse. I can finally just enjoy some gaming on my Pentium

Though not all is perfect. I get a wail32.dll error when I try to play separation anxiety now, but thats small compared to how good this is.
also Doom 2 still has sound issues …….. so things aren't perfect, but much better