VOGONS

First post, by T-Squared

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I got an original Asus P2B a week or so ago, but I've been tearing my hair out searching for problems these past two days.

I thought that I was having trouble with a video card, because apparently Windows 98 doesn't like mixing DVI and VGA video cards together, but I nailed down what seems to be the problem:

Games running on the original ID Tech 1 engine (Doom, Doom II, or Heretic) seem to not like being run on this particular motherboard in Windows 98SE, which I don't like.
I want to be able to run these whenever I like, without worry.

Normally, I would chalk it up to the video card, because I had problems running it with 3 video cards at once (one was for RCA input-output, one was for semi-modern 3D gaming, and the last one was for my VR headset), but I'm changing that now down to just two (one for the headset, one for the 3D gaming, with an extra TV tuner card that can run using both.)

One of the video cards that I own also doesn't seem to like my life-long version of Myst that uses the Multimedia PC Standard from the early 90's, so I'm getting a version that hopefully uses DirectDraw: http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthread.php?637 … Any-differences
This led me to thinking the video card was the problem in playing the ID Tech 1 games, but apparently not. Doom/Doom II/Heretic crashes regardless of video card, even with ones that worked perfectly before.

I've heard turning off the L2 cache MIGHT be a fix, but I haven't tried it yet. Right now, as I'm writing this post, I'm using MemTest86 4.10 to test the RAM, and it hasn't reported any problems.

I also updated the BIOS to Revision 1014 Beta 003 so I could use 80GB drives. Could that have broken the system? Should I roll back to an older BIOS? I haven't seen any ancient posts on the internet complaining about the ASUS board breaking the ID Tech 1 engine games.

Reply 2 of 4, by T-Squared

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I take it back. It was 3 AM when I made this discovery (I woke up too early), and it seems that I needed to finagle with both the game settings, and the settings for the SOUND CARD. (A Sound Blaster 16)

ID Tech 1 doesn't like my USB-PS/2 mouse (which is fine, I never use it)
And It may have fed too much info about the sound card to the game. (It's fine with IRQ and DMA channels, but MIDI Channels and other stuff make it crash.)

Reply 3 of 4, by synrgy87

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
T-Squared wrote on 2020-05-01, 09:30:

I take it back. It was 3 AM when I made this discovery (I woke up too early), and it seems that I needed to finagle with both the game settings, and the settings for the SOUND CARD. (A Sound Blaster 16)

ID Tech 1 doesn't like my USB-PS/2 mouse (which is fine, I never use it)
And It may have fed too much info about the sound card to the game. (It's fine with IRQ and DMA channels, but MIDI Channels and other stuff make it crash.)

Which SB16 is it you have?