VOGONS

Help identify my 486 motherboard?!

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 24, by FGB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You are generalizing and comaring apples with pears. Matrox vs. S3 is not the topic, hmm? There were no decent matrox cards (for DOS gaming) for the VLB. But there were many decent S3 cards for VLB. And some crappy. And many crappy Tseng cards and some decent..

Things changed when PCI became more popular. S3 went down to the low budget sector (at least the majority of their offerings, except some great VRAM based cards) while Tseng disappeared from market after releasing the ET6100 cards. The graphics cards market always has been very dynamic and one has to be very careful not to mix things up like you do by throwing different things into the same basket.

www.AmoRetro.de Visit my huge hardware gallery with many historic items from 16MHz 286 to 1000MHz Slot A. Includes more than 80 soundcards and a growing Wavetable Recording section with more than 300 recordings.

Reply 21 of 24, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

OK fine, I'll let you have the benefit of doubt by saying that generally S3 VLB cards have good output, even though the "highend" VLB card I have sucks.

I mentioned Matrox vs S3 as just an example of something that could be done in a side by side comparison. This is because it has been said countless times here on Vogons that you should get a S3 card over a Matrox because it has some better DOS compatibility. What many seems to miss is the signal output quality aspect of it and how the compatibility really is less of an issue that what it is made out to be. With a video this could be shown more clear and perhaps put some more light on the subject. There are some issues that have been exaggorated around on the internet, which may result in that someone (new retro users) reads it as "fact". Like for instance when I tried to sell my MT100 one interested buyer said that it wouldn't work with games made for the old MT32 revision.. I facepalmed myself, but I also knew exactly where all that were coming from.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 22 of 24, by FGB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vetz wrote:

OK fine, I'll let you have the benefit of doubt by saying that generally S3 VLB cards have good output, even though the "highend" VLB card I have sucks.

I mentioned Matrox vs S3 as just an example of something that could be done in a side by side comparison. This is because it has been said countless times here on Vogons that you should get a S3 card over a Matrox because it has some better DOS compatibility. What many seems to miss is the signal output quality aspect of it and how the compatibility really is less of an issue that what it is made out to be. With a video this could be shown more clear and perhaps put some more light on the subject. There are some issues that have been exaggorated around on the internet, which may result in that someone (new retro users) reads it as "fact". Like for instance when I tried to sell my MT100 one interested buyer said that it wouldn't work with games made for the old MT32 revision.. I facepalmed myself, but I also knew exactly where all that were coming from.

Well, again: As you said you have one card. It's hard to judge with just one card. I've tested a lot of S3 VLB cards from many different vendors (ELSA, Miro, Diamond, Number Nine, Jaton, SPEA/Videoseven) as well as some no name cards. And in general these S3 based VLB cards offer decent image quality, especially compared to the many blurry noname Tseng cards.

I totally agree with you that Maxtrox offers a much higher quality output compared to (most) S3 _PCI_ cards and I would always prefer a Matrox card when building a rig for later DOS games (with optional SVGA res). And yes, you're right, I also think the compatibility issues will not occur for many people.

But when you are comparing graphics chips from vensors it doesn't help anyone when things get mixed up. It's just confusing for people new to the scene. The thread opener is interested in building a _VLB_ based system and your example that S3 cards generally suck, especially against Matrox, just doesn't help - simply because there is no Matrox VLB card for DOS gaming available.

Peace,
Fabian

www.AmoRetro.de Visit my huge hardware gallery with many historic items from 16MHz 286 to 1000MHz Slot A. Includes more than 80 soundcards and a growing Wavetable Recording section with more than 300 recordings.

Reply 23 of 24, by evasive

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The layout of the memory slots is sometimes seen on Freetech/Flexus boards, the 486F38 has it like this. Now this might be a 486F39 but I can't find a single layout or picture of that anywhere.
Is the board marked ASSY 01-00039*-** somewhere?

EDIT: oh wait
https://th99.bl4ckb0x.de/m/E-H/32152.htm

It is a Freetech 486F39X

Reply 24 of 24, by evasive

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Found a bios file for it that is from the OEM that made your board, Trigen.
Added to the page in Ultimate Retro:
https://www.ultimateretro.net/en/motherboards/2519