VOGONS

First post, by viper32cm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So it looks like my next door neighbor may be sitting on a cache of vintage hardware. I'm not sure of the specific date ranges, but he was 100% certain he had CRTs as well as systems going back to the 386-era and he mentioned systems through perhaps 2002. I think a lot of it is OEM stuff--he mentioned HP a few times and even mentioned he had a few old Macs. Further, it sounds like he or his wife may have systems going back into the early-80s or late-70s. I'm going to go to his house in the next few days to check everything out that he has here. He takes good care of his cars, lawn equipment, house, etc., so I expect the equipment will be well stored and not abused. However, it is stored in his basement, and I know I've had some humidity problems with my basement over the past few years.

That all said, I'm trying to think of a way to systematically go through everything and catalog what he has and assess its condition. I know I shouldn't just start plugging things in and seeing what turns on, and I'm very concerned about the condition of the batteries and capacitors. Further, I know almost nothing about old Mac hardware, so I want to be extra careful with that stuff, lest I fry a valuable system. Additionally, I'm assuming he has system and driver software to go with these computers, at least some of which should be on floppies. The preservationist in me immediately says I need to image it all.

I don't know what the endgame is for all of this stuff, which I suspect will largely depend on my estimation of the value of what he has. That said, I do not want him to throw any of it away, even if it is rather mundane equipment.

Any advice or thoughts as to what I should do and bring with me tool-wise would be greatly appreciated.

Reply 1 of 4, by hwh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Frequently in the world of technology, rare /= valuable. My priority would be to look at what is older or least common, and what is in best condition and start there. Many Apples won't boot with a dead battery.

I personally have no issue with plugging in random things, but I don't know how good you are with tracing/diagnosis. I mean, you look something over, and at some point your best "diagnostic" move is to turn the thing on and see what results. Probably, that it works (not necessarily that it boots). Alternatively, it doesn't start. Also no harm done. Unless you get really unlucky with a power supply...again, you decide how rigorous you need to be testing power supplies before turning systems on, assuming you can do that.

Reply 2 of 4, by viper32cm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm going to look at the systems Saturday. I think the real prize of whatever he has PC-wise will be the 386 and 486-era systems, but I'm trying to moderate my expectations since there's a decent chance of leaky barrel batteries, dead RTC chips, etc. I know that can all be fixed, but it will be my first time attempting those types of repairs.

I think I want to do a visual of the PCBs first to check for bulging or leaking caps and batteries and to check for corrosion and other damage. I don't have any ability to test power supplies. I guess I could try to open them up before first start, but, if they aren't corroded or otherwise visually damaged, I may just give it a shot. After that, I guess collect make and model designations and catalog the components.

Reply 3 of 4, by hwh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Let us know what you find 😄

Reply 4 of 4, by viper32cm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Three systems located thus far.

Two WinXP era Compaq Presario minitowers. Originally 2.6GHZ Celerons with 256MB ram and and 80GB HDDs. One had the original mainboard, one did not. The original board is nothing special, integrated everything, only PCI slots, and, making matters worse, the caps were beginning to go. The other one had been upgraded with a NF6IS Micro Socket 754 motherboard. I'm not sure of the processor yet, but I'm planning on going through it soon.

The third computer appears to have a Celron D in it on an AOpen s651m motherboard and, most importantly, a plain jane, beige ATX mid-tower case.

I think the upgraded Presario and third computer may have some potential, either for refurbishment/upgrade or for parting out.

No 386s, 486s, or CRTs yet, but the two macs are floating around somewhere. If they are older than the three systems I saw yesterday , they could be quite special.