VOGONS

First post, by Cga.8086

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I kept an intel slot1 motherboard model MU440EX for 1 year and today i spent some time trying to make it work but it is completely dead.
I checked the board for broken traces, two of them looked bad but with continuity check the traces are good. Also made sure the jumper was set to normal operation.
nothing looks burned on the board.

It just does not even power on, i tried with celeron slot1, then pentium2 slot 1.
Tried different memory 128mb, 64mb on both memory slots.
when i connect a normal ATX power supply..the fan on the PSU does not even spin when i touch with metal jumpers 6 and 8.

its kind of sad to throw this board because it comes with an integrated ati video card and integrated yamaha sound.

i was wondering what else should i check to at least make it turn on the fan of the psu and cpu.

Reply 1 of 20, by quicknick

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Have you tried with another power supply?
If you have a multimeter handy, check resistance between each rail and ground, looking for shorts. Anything below tens of ohms is suspicious.
Also, is there a possibility that the board was made for Dell? If so, the ATX pinout is non-standard.

Reply 2 of 20, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Careful. Look for the Dell part number first.

The dallas battery backed modules needs to be modified with external battery first as some oddball boards refuses to boot with exhausted battery in them.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 4 of 20, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Shame 🙁 - I'm working on my two atm, an Intel retail and a Packard Bell OEM (PB885) - both rev 2 with AGP x2. They're nice boards so hope you get it fixed.

Apart from the suggestion of a fresh coin cell battery / cmos clear the only other thing I can think of is a bad flash - have you ever had the board working? There are completely different versions for revs 1 & 2 so not sure what would happen if the wrong one was used (forced recovery flash?). Is it an Intel or PB version (not aware of a Dell one).

Reply 5 of 20, by Cga.8086

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

hi guys i hope you can help with the part number

so i changed the coin battery as you mentioned and that did not help at all. I am sure the PSU is not the issue, because i always use it every week

on the white sticker i see this part number:

IUMU83201918 AA 718631-405

does that mean that it needs some kind of special power supply? or it should work with any atx power supply,?

because if it needs a modified one. it woukd explain why the psu fan does not even spin.

the bios chip is pretty small intel flash for that era. where bios were bigger, but this one is really thin and small

Reply 7 of 20, by mR_Slug

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've got an Intel PPro board that won't power up when the switch is pressed. Only way to get it to power is to short the green PSU wire to ground. After that it seams the board will power on and off with the power button. From what I can tell, the motherboard thinks its on when off and vice versa, so pressing the power button when off tries to turn it off. Forcing it on seams to reset things. Got another dual Xeon board that I shorted the 5VSB, that only powers up via the green-to-ground PSU forced start-up method. Maybe worth a try?

The Retro Web | EISA .cfg Archive | Chip set Encyclopedia

Reply 8 of 20, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have a MU440EX rev 1 and it would only boot from a 266 or 300Mhz cpu when I first got it due to it still had the original BIOS version 4M4UE0X1-403. What speed CPU are you trying to boot from ?

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 9 of 20, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
mR_Slug wrote on 2020-05-11, 23:21:

I've got an Intel PPro board that won't power up when the switch is pressed. Only way to get it to power is to short the green PSU wire to ground. After that it seams the board will power on and off with the power button. From what I can tell, the motherboard thinks its on when off and vice versa, so pressing the power button when off tries to turn it off. Forcing it on seams to reset things. Got another dual Xeon board that I shorted the 5VSB, that only powers up via the green-to-ground PSU forced start-up method. Maybe worth a try?

Sounds like your PPro board could be an OEM or the PSU is. Some boards the power-on was taken low, others taken high. Same with some PSU (I know Mac psu are opposite of PC that way)....

Last edited by Stiletto on 2020-05-15, 07:21. Edited 1 time in total.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 10 of 20, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Horun wrote on 2020-05-11, 23:36:

I have a MU440EX rev 1 and it would only boot from a 266 or 300Mhz cpu when I first got it due to it still had the original BIOS version 4M4UE0X1-403. What speed CPU are you trying to boot from ?

Suppose it could be some issue with the cpu but I doubt it. The OPs board has an AA number which identifies it as rev 2, and although according to Intel the broadest official cpu support starts at 4M4UE0X3.86A.0004.P03

MU440EX ProcSupp.jpg
Filename
MU440EX ProcSupp.jpg
File size
72.82 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

here's my board booting a Celeron 533 PPGA on a slocket with the original production release bios for rev 2 boards (ignore the 500MHz string - even with the latest bios the POST screen doesn't recognise anything above 66MHz x 7.5, beyond that everything else sees a Celeron 533)

MU440EX_Cel533.JPG
Filename
MU440EX_Cel533.JPG
File size
840.76 KiB
Views
File license

In fact, the production release notes hardly mention processor support / fixes at all

Filename
REL_NOTE.DOC
File size
44.22 KiB
Downloads
52 downloads
File license

Reply 11 of 20, by Cga.8086

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

i gave it a last try, i was hoping that i needed a propietary power supply as my last hope, but if it has to work on any atx power supply...then im out of luck

tried with pentium2 266, and also pentium2 300, and nothing works, not even the cpu fan spins ,nor psu fan
touching pin6 and 8 does absolutly nothing , and the intel flash chip is just to small to take it out and read it with a bios reader tool and flash it.

what a pain, might go to the trash bin

Reply 12 of 20, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cga.8086 wrote on 2020-05-12, 04:20:

"If you have a multimeter handy, check resistance between each rail and ground, looking for shorts. Anything below tens of ohms is suspicious."
Did you do this?
Also replace these:

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    Filename
    s-l1600.jpg
    File size
    427.15 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 14 of 20, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If its anything like mine, they're United Chemi-Con LXZ series 2200uF/16V. On the other hand the PB version uses Panasonic FC series 2200uF/16V. By comparing chip dates I'd say my boards were made within a month or two of each other around late 98 / early 99. Visually they're all in excellent condition for their age (yes, I know looks can be deceiving 😀 )

Reply 15 of 20, by computerguy08

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
i gave it a last try, i was hoping that i needed a propietary power supply as my last hope, but if it has to work on any atx pow […]
Show full quote

i gave it a last try, i was hoping that i needed a propietary power supply as my last hope, but if it has to work on any atx power supply...then im out of luck

tried with pentium2 266, and also pentium2 300, and nothing works, not even the cpu fan spins ,nor psu fan
touching pin6 and 8 does absolutly nothing , and the intel flash chip is just to small to take it out and read it with a bios reader tool and flash it.

If nothing happens when you touch the power switch pins, it means there is something seriously wrong with the southbridge (usually it's fried). You can't do anything about it in that case. (unless the CMOS clear jumper is not set properly, some boards wil refuse to power on if not)

There is no point in flashing another BIOS if the standby circuitry is malfunctional.

Reply 16 of 20, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Already confirmed the jumper was set to Normal

MU440EXJP.jpg
Filename
MU440EXJP.jpg
File size
100.15 KiB
Views
File license

I'd be more inclined to suspect a bad flash (either a failed chip or borked in a bad flash upgrade) - that's why I dislike these Intel bios chips.

Reply 17 of 20, by computerguy08

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2020-05-12, 10:26:

Already confirmed the jumper was set to Normal

I failed to notice that, my bad 😉

I don't think a failed flash should cause the board not to power on at all. At least, I haven't heard of a failure like that yet.

When I had power on issues with salvage boards (P4P800-SEs in particular), I could usually feel a ton of heat coming from the southbridge in seconds (it would burn my finger).

Reply 18 of 20, by mR_Slug

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Horun wrote on 2020-05-11, 23:39:

...Sounds like your PPro board could be an OEM or the PSU is. Some boards the power-on was taken low, others taken high. ....

Just Illustrating a method of starting a motherboard. I think it's referred to as the Paper-Clip method. Should point out this is only recommended when everything else has been checked/tried. Short pin 14 (/PS_ON), Green to ground. You have to leave the paper-clip in, its not momentary, like the jumper on the motherboard. If you're about to trash the board, its worth a try.

Last edited by Stiletto on 2020-05-15, 07:22. Edited 1 time in total.

The Retro Web | EISA .cfg Archive | Chip set Encyclopedia

Reply 19 of 20, by Roman555

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Cga.8086, it's too early to give up. Although you're sure that the PSU is OK try another one anyway. This mainboard is picky about PSU.
P.S. There's a way to turn the motherboard on but I haven't tried it yet. The motherboard has WOL connector near CMOS-bat. The method is to connect the #1 and #3 pins through a 1-5kOm resistor instantly.

[ MS6168/PII-350/YMF754/98SE ]
[ 775i65G/E5500/9800Pro/Vortex2/ME ]