VOGONS

First post, by Omarkoman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

hi everyone

my pentium motherboard COM ports are not working, no matter what I try the mouse cursor wont move. eg tried different header cables, serial MS mouse, PS2 mouse with Serial to PS2 convereter, different mouse drivers. In bios set to auto or select specific COM port etc ... nothing works.

so I bought this PCI COM port card as it had a chipset that has DOS drivers available :

s-l1600.jpg

I found the DOS drivers and when I run the file, I get this :

IMG-0577.jpg

note, on board COM ports are disabled in BIOS in this instance.

these are the command options but I have no clue how to set them up to get a comp port mapped and working :

IMG-0578.jpg

any help would be appreciated ! thank you

Reply 1 of 21, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Omarkoman wrote on 2020-05-18, 03:42:
hi everyone […]
Show full quote

hi everyone

my pentium motherboard COM ports are not working, no matter what I try the mouse cursor wont move. eg tried different header cables, serial MS mouse, PS2 mouse with Serial to PS2 convereter, different mouse drivers. In bios set to auto or select specific COM port etc ... nothing works.

so I bought this PCI COM port card as it had a chipset that has DOS drivers available :

s-l1600.jpg

I found the DOS drivers and when I run the file, I get this :

IMG-0577.jpg

note, on board COM ports are disabled in BIOS in this instance.

these are the command options but I have no clue how to set them up to get a comp port mapped and working :

IMG-0578.jpg

any help would be appreciated ! thank you

There were several pinout standards for motherboard com port headers . The manual should specify what your board uses . Then you could rewire the header cable accordingly.

My best guess for the PCI thing would be to add a port and then remap it .

Reply 3 of 21, by Omarkoman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

thanks, I found the manual too just now and when I do the nmdosin -a command, it doesnt add any ports 🙁

I will see if I can find the manual (or if someone can help that would be great) ... this is the board :

s-l1600.jpg

Reply 5 of 21, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Soyo 5VA2 , probably.

Found a manual, but no pinouts .

Attachments

• Filename
    5VA22.pdf
    File size
    191.76 KiB
    Downloads
    69 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 8 of 21, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Omarkoman wrote on 2020-05-18, 04:30:

thanks but what that does that mean ? What do I have to do ? The case the mobo is in has a com 1 cable and I have few spare ones, how do I find a cable that has the right pint out connections?

You can test the header cables you have using a multimeter to see if the pinout matches what is required . If one of your headers matches the pinout, great, use that one.

If none of them do, you could modify one of the ones you have to match the required pinout .

You will need a multimeter to check the pinout. To swap the cables around, you could cut and splice or solder the individual strands to match the required pinout .

Reply 9 of 21, by Omarkoman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

ok, I can do that I think.

I assume though if none of the cables I have work, I will need to swap the right pinouts on one of the existing cables? Its just so strange, I never seen this before.

and in saying that, I wish I could get the PCI card going 🙁

Reply 10 of 21, by evasive

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

COM ports are wired either (older standard)
or (newer standard)
2468_
you usually can see the numbers on the corners of the header to see what is used.

The top row is what pins are used in the DB9 or DB25 connector in the backside of the case.

LPT port headers are always, that is only one standard.
2468..24_

I have been cursing those COM cables more times than I can remember.

Reply 11 of 21, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Omarkoman wrote on 2020-05-18, 05:03:

ok, I can do that I think.

Testing is not really necessary. When you pull the plugs out of the plastic casings the 2 different wiring methods are easily distinguishable.

DTK3b.jpg
Filename
DTK3b.jpg
File size
17.24 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 14 of 21, by evasive

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you are as old as me the newer, new newer, newest newer can be even more confusing at times 😀 Then again it all can be brought back to the basic components/functionality, a PC hasn't changed much in the last 35 years or so...

Reply 15 of 21, by Omarkoman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

ok thanks guys, I checked the wiring and I can see all cables I have are the newer version.

Is there a simple visual guide I can follow to cut and reconnect wires to make it the older version pls?

thank you again for all the help, much appreciated ...

Reply 18 of 21, by Omarkoman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I found a cable thats already the old version !!!!! so lucky !!! was burried in old box and it all now works !!!!

it also has a PS2 connector but its 1x5 so not sure which header to connect to on mobo and in which orientation

Reply 19 of 21, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Omarkoman wrote on 2020-05-20, 03:04:

I found a cable thats already the old version !!!!! so lucky !!! was burried in old box and it all now works !!!!

it also has a PS2 connector but its 1x5 so not sure which header to connect to on mobo and in which orientation

There was info on the Soyo web site about the PS/2 pinout, but archive.org did not archive that one, unfortunately . The gif was named sy-ps_2.gif , if someone happens to have a dump of the Soyo website .