Topic actions

Reply 34180 of 52728, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MAZter wrote on 2020-05-26, 12:56:

It is AST Advantage Explorer.

Unfortunately It does not start with anything inside self pcmcia slot (probably it supports very old pc card format), so that why I need to use LPT adapter instead of internal slot.

Total ram about 4mb (with 640Kb).

I think I asked you the same question already in the pcmcia sound cards thread some time ago...

Could you take a picture of the ram expansion port?

PCMCIA Sound, Storage & Graphics

Reply 34181 of 52728, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This card arrived today. It's a Tseng ET4000AX VLB. I believe that the ET4000AX chip was manufactured in the 12th week of 1992.

I'm not sure of the OEM, but it is apparently an "Eng. Sample." NSSI recognizes it as a 1MB Tseng card. It works perfectly, and the colors really pop.

IMG_9534.jpg
Filename
IMG_9534.jpg
File size
1.66 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 34182 of 52728, by daikatana_

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just received this. It's in a sorry state. But it was almost free, so I took it. I don't even know if it works.

Attachments

Game MIDI soundtracks

Retro games and HW reviews

Reply 34183 of 52728, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
daikatana wrote:

it was almost free, so I took it.

Honestly those are the best aquisitions, imho. And if it doesn't work, making it work is SO satisifying.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 34184 of 52728, by mpe

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
boxpressed wrote on 2020-05-26, 20:16:

This card arrived today. It's a Tseng ET4000AX VLB. I believe that the ET4000AX chip was manufactured in the 12th week of 1992.

I'm not sure of the OEM, but it is apparently an "Eng. Sample." NSSI recognizes it as a 1MB Tseng card. It works perfectly, and the colors really pop.

IMG_9534.jpg

That's cool. Looks like a very early VLB device. I have ET4000AX of about the same age. But that's a pre-VESA local bus implementation.

Blog|NexGen 586|S4

Reply 34185 of 52728, by daikatana_

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
luckybob wrote on 2020-05-26, 21:12:
daikatana wrote:

it was almost free, so I took it.

Honestly those are the best aquisitions, imho. And if it doesn't work, making it work is SO satisifying.

That's so true. I'll test the module tomorrow.

Game MIDI soundtracks

Retro games and HW reviews

Reply 34186 of 52728, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mpe wrote on 2020-05-26, 21:16:

That's cool. Looks like a very early VLB device. I have ET4000AX of about the same age. But that's a pre-VESA local bus implementation.

I have what I believe to be the production version of this card on the way. It even comes with a manual and drivers, so I should know more about its branding soon. I think it is a "generic" OEM and not one of the big-name companies.

Yes, the ET4000AX shows its ISA lineage in my benchmarking. It's about 10% slower in Superscape and Doom than my other VLB cards (Cirrus, NCR, ET4000/w32p).

Reply 34188 of 52728, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, I won this strangely, and possibly Tandy 1000 compatible LightPen on E-bay today. No real basis except that it uses a DB-9 female port and I have enough electronics skills to backup actually figuring out the pinout and looking at the circuit. I'm kind of hoping it's one of the "Warp Speed" light pens - the connector looks right and it looks like some documentation pictures - and I have the software from some experiments. Will check the pinout first - since I have the Tandy's pinout for the lightpen port written down in my desk from my experiments last summer (where I almost make a working one but was having trouble with tracking being very consistent or working at all).

lightpen.jpg
Filename
lightpen.jpg
File size
152.67 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

~The Creeping Network~
My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/creepingnet
Creepingnet's World - https://creepingnet.neocities.org/
The Creeping Network Repo - https://www.geocities.ws/creepingnet2019/

Reply 34190 of 52728, by newtmonkey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This came in the mail today:
DSC-0393.jpg
Sound Blaster 16 CT1740

It was listed as untested/not working and I got it for a steal. Sadly, it's got one of the "hanging note bug" DSPs.
Even more sadly, it doesn't seem to output anything on the left channel. It might just be a matter of applying some contact cleaner to the speaker OUT jack, but since it's got the hanging note bug and since I use external MT-32/MIDI I'm not really inclined to replace my AWE64 just to get better FM music. I'll store it away for now and revisit it at a later date, once I eventually get a dedicated MPU card clone, etc.

Reply 34191 of 52728, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Predator99 wrote on 2020-05-23, 13:09:
I decided to collect the missing Chips for my junk AMIGA A2620 card Bought these (retro) hardware today […]
Show full quote

I decided to collect the missing Chips for my junk AMIGA A2620 card
Bought these (retro) hardware today

I got all 3 from different sources and at the end I paid a lot of money for them (incl. shipping..):
68882 22,50€
68851 30€
68020 11,5€

Hope I get it working, did not test anything so far...

Today I took the time to make a short test of my 68020 Turbo-Card:
Sellers Picture:

eb.jpg
Filename
eb.jpg
File size
482.45 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Added some gold:

IMG_9130r.jpg
Filename
IMG_9130r.jpg
File size
609.8 KiB
Views
File license

In my A2000:

IMG_7090r.jpg
Filename
IMG_7090r.jpg
File size
906.53 KiB
Views
File license

😀 😀 😀

IMG_7089r.jpg
Filename
IMG_7089r.jpg
File size
375.6 KiB
Views
File license

But I have to admit I had to close J303 to disable Fast-Ram...without that an error appears.

Reply 34192 of 52728, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MAZter wrote on 2020-05-26, 23:52:
yes https://i.postimg.cc/cLLGsCsr/IMG-20200526-173511.jpg […]
Show full quote
lolo799 wrote on 2020-05-26, 17:57:

Could you take a picture of the ram expansion port?

yes
IMG-20200526-173511.jpg

Same on my models, except I have the 4M ram expansion in each, and somehow I have one half of the 16M expansion.

PCMCIA Sound, Storage & Graphics

Reply 34193 of 52728, by CrFr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Got this macintosh Color Classic today. Seller said the condition is unknown. Usually when I see that said, I assume the seller knows it's broken. So I sent him a real low offer, and to my surprise he accepted. This time it was nice exception, it booted right up.

Seems quite dirty, but everything is intact. No cracked plastics or anything, no big scratches, no burn in. It isn't even yellowed. Some sticker glue residue in couple of places. I think after good cleaning this will look really nice. Now only if I had mouse and keyboard for this 😒

IMG_0900_DxO.jpg
Filename
IMG_0900_DxO.jpg
File size
249.34 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

I like this plug and play motherboard, slides right out of the case.

IMG_0901_DxO.jpg
Filename
IMG_0901_DxO.jpg
File size
473.86 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Screen has slightly darker area in the upper right corner. Other than that, it is really sharp and good looking. Seeing that it has finnish language operating system is nice.

IMG_0906_DxO.jpg
Filename
IMG_0906_DxO.jpg
File size
420.67 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 34194 of 52728, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
CrFr wrote on 2020-05-27, 20:04:
Got this macintosh Color Classic today. Seller said the condition is unknown. Usually when I see that said, I assume the seller […]
Show full quote

Got this macintosh Color Classic today. Seller said the condition is unknown. Usually when I see that said, I assume the seller knows it's broken. So I sent him a real low offer, and to my surprise he accepted. This time it was nice exception, it booted right up.

Seems quite dirty, but everything is intact. No cracked plastics or anything, no big scratches, no burn in. It isn't even yellowed. Some sticker glue residue in couple of places. I think after good cleaning this will look really nice. Now only if I had mouse and keyboard for this 😒

IMG_0900_DxO.jpg

IMG_0901_DxO.jpg

Screen has slightly darker area in the upper right corner. Other than that, it is really sharp and good looking. Seeing that it has finnish language operating system is nice.
IMG_0906_DxO.jpg

ADB mice and keyboards are expensive . There is also this https://www.bigmessowires.com/usb-wombat/ , if you want to use USb peripherals instead . Less authentic, more practical , IMHO .

Reply 34195 of 52728, by Vynix

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That CRT might need to be degaussed, also, I'd recap the whole machine if I were you, some compact Macs were known for suffering from leaky SMD capacitors.

On top of my head I know that the following compact units are affected (I'm excluding the other Macs) :

• Macintosh SE/30 (the SE seems to be unaffected)
  • Macintosh Classic
  • Macintosh Classic II
  • Macintosh Color Classic (not sure about the "obscure" Color Classic II)

The older (128K, 512K, 512Ke, Plus, Plus/ED, OG SE and SE FDHD) could benefit from a analog board recap and the replacement of the axial caps that they use (which didn't go bad as much as the SMD shitcans used on later 68K units).

Also careful about that PRAM battery, these are known for exploding and often taking the logic board with them.

Proud owner of a Shuttle HOT-555A 430VX motherboard and two wonderful retro laptops, namely a Compaq Armada 1700 [nonfunctional] and a HP Omnibook XE3-GC [fully working :p]

Reply 34196 of 52728, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Got this stash delivered today.

Attachments

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 34198 of 52728, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
CrFr wrote on 2020-05-27, 20:04:
Got this macintosh Color Classic today. Seller said the condition is unknown. Usually when I see that said, I assume the seller […]
Show full quote

IMG_0900_DxO.jpg

IMG_0901_DxO.jpg

IMG_0906_DxO.jpg

This website has some good resources and you can access it from your color classic with Netscape 3.1 web browser.
http://obsolete.macfixer.com/vintage-software/

You can download to a mac computer and then burn to a CD.
But you will need a CDROM drive for your Macintosh.

I would upgrade your Color classic with a 500gb hard-drive at least first. And add more RAM. I think it take up to 16mb.
( Apple Quantum Fireball SCSI 500mb hard drive )
All you need is 8mb to use Netscape and go online.
Also get a network card. They are cheap.
System 7.1 is light on the CPU. ( if you only have 8mb ram ) ( I think you have to install from floppy disks ).
System 7.5 used al little more resources. ( if you have 16mb ram )
Don’t put anything higher than System 7.5.1
Also get an Apple SCSI CDROM drive. You can build your own SCSI CDROM drive using the Apple CD300i or CD600i drive.
Replace the battery.
OWC computers NO longer supports this computer as it is too old. But you can find parts on eBay.

Specs

https://everymac.com/systems/apple/mac_classi … lorclassic.html

See my Posts:
Macintosh Color Classic ( Extreme )

Last edited by Intel486dx33 on 2020-05-28, 02:20. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 34199 of 52728, by MAZter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
lolo799 wrote on 2020-05-27, 19:04:

Same on my models, except I have the 4M ram expansion in each, and somehow I have one half of the 16M expansion.

Nice, what are these memory modules called? Are they have part numbers?

Doom is what you want (c) MAZter