VOGONS

LPX

Topic actions

First post, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For as big as an issue as this was (as I remember it) it doesn't get mentioned much here, so I thought I'd bring it up and see what all of you think.

Prior to ATX, if you built your own computer or bought a "white box" no-name brand or a custom one from a local computer shop, it would be an AT motherboard like the many builds that get posted here.

The advantage of AT is that it was standard; the disadvantage among other things is that only the only opening in the case is the keyboard port, and all the other ports (PS/2 mouse, serial, parallel) had to be on those little ribbon cables, potentially taking away some brackets from the expansion slots if the case didn't have punch-out holes for DB25/DE9. There were exceptions, for example I used to have one of those Biostar 8433UUD boards with the PS/2 mouse port sitting next to the AT keyboard port.

If you instead bought a Packard Bell, Dell, HP, IBM, etc. you didn't get an AT board. Instead you got what is called "LPX", where the ISA/PCI slots are on a proprietary riser card especially for desktop cases, and the on-board ports on the board are a custom-fit for the case the board was designed for. Low-profile PCI cards basically solved the first problem, and ATX I/O shields solved the second one. But essentially, you couldn't grab a "name brand" computer and try to transplant its motherboard into another case like you should be able to today.

Apparently some huge percentage of name-brand manufacturers back then outsourced their motherboard production to Intel, so it's kind of semi-proprietary and semi-standard at the same time.

Here's a writeup about it on Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LPX_(form_factor)

Anyone deal with this trying to fit these boards into a different case? I know someone has posted here doing significant metal cutting/changes to a case but I can't remember which post it was on.

Apparently the "line voltage switch on a rope" power switch that "AT" power supplies had actually came from LPX. It wasn't unusual for an AT case to come with the power supply back then since the power switch wasn't 100% standardized this way.

Reply 1 of 4, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have one of these Intel machines but the drive cage is missing, which is a huge annoyance, as it also holds the 3.5" floppy drive. I'm still wondering what to do with it.

I'll probably use an IDE DOM for a drive and use the the two 5.25" bays for the floppy drive and CD-ROM drive. That still leaves me with the problem of how to elegantly cover the unused 3.5" floppy hole. It's a headache.

I wish I could just junk the case and put the board in a normal AT case, but of course that's not possible.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 2 of 4, by EvieSigma

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I absolutely despise LPX. Boards are hard to find and not cheap so I'm stuck with a frankly garbage motherboard (430VX chipset, currently no L2 cache at all) Trying to put a different board in the case would require making extensive structural modifications, to the point it would almost be easier to skin the case and attach said skin to an ATX case.

Reply 3 of 4, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Love LPX systems.
Don't know why but the slim LPX "pizza box" dimensions are more attractive then the fat AT desktop size equivalent.

But it isn't a standard. That's like complaining I cant fit a Dell server motherboard in a HP server despite both being a 4U server.
The size is the standard not the internals.

OEM's do have good points (like PS2 ports becoming standard much quicker then on white box equivalents) The compromise is accepting the Case and M/B go together.
But if your into custom building from the ground up then OEM is never the right place to start unless you are prepared to do some case modding.

Reply 4 of 4, by eisapc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have quite a number of LPXsystems in my collection.
I once successfully upgraded a 286er ITOS system by use of an IBM valuepoint 486 VLB board and riser.
When swapping boards you need to check carefully the motherbard standoffs, not to cause any shorts.
As it was written before LPX boards can be interchangeable, but there is no guarantee.