VOGONS

First post, by babtras

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a derelict NEC ProSpeed 286 with a C&T chipset. I have been tearing my hair out for a year trying to find anything wrong with it at all. I keep circling back to the BIOS. It's clear someone has replaced the EPROMs because they are mismatched, beat up, hand-written on, and don't match model numbers with images I found of the mainboard of another ProSpeed 286. So I suspect that someone put new (used but different) EPROMs in it and gave up waiting to find the correct BIOS to write to them and just sold the machine as a derelict, and I'm the 3rd or 4th sucker who has bought it for $20 and spent countless hours trying to figure out what's wrong with it. I do not have a programmer that is capable of reading these so I'm not sure if there's anything on them at all.

So my question, is it likely that any BIOS for that specific C&T chipset will work, or are they much more board-specific? I don't think much of my chances of finding the ROM for this machine specifically, but it was a common chipset.

Reply 1 of 8, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

All 286 BIOSes are pretty much chipset-specific not board-specific, and C&T chipset (NEAT) is pretty much the most basic of them all (beside the original 5170 chipset)...
Any BIOS from NEAT motherboard will work fine. Have you already checked the VOGONs 286 BIOS repository?
Also - would you post a picture of the motherboard? I have several NEAT motherboards so I may just rip the correct .bins for you.

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 2 of 8, by babtras

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you for the help. Pics of the motherboard attached. There's a 211C, 212B, 215, and a 206.

Attachments

Reply 3 of 8, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I also recommend getting a diagnostics card (POST card).. The ISA/PCI combo types are not that expensive.
Even though in case you haven't the list of POST codes at hand right now, it will show you something, so you see if it is working at all.
Also, they often have LEDs with the most important voltages (the 3.3v LEDs are useless on ISA, though. If they light up, they may refer to 5v instead.)

Edit: You can also have a look for an AMIBIOS for you C&T board. They may work better in your system.
- A few years ago, I was fixing my Schneider Tower AT and used the AMIBIOS instead of the custom one derived from Phoenix BIOS (?).
Well, it worked fine. If there hadn't been some proprietary on-board stuff, I had kept it that way.

Last edited by Stiletto on 2020-06-12, 22:17. Edited 1 time in total.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 4 of 8, by babtras

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jo22 wrote on 2020-06-12, 05:58:

I also recommend getting a diagnostics card (POST card).. The ISA/PCI combo types are not that expensive.

I have been considering buying one of these, but in this case it won't help me as this is a laptop/portable without any ISA expansion slots. In particular, it is an NEC ProSpeed 286. It has a 100 pin expansion port labelled 'LTX' that I can imagine might be adaptable to ISA with the right documentation and connector availability, but it is currently beyond my skill or ambition.

A POST card does seem like a great idea if I will be doing many repairs in the future.

Edit: The LTX port is visible in the second photo.

Reply 5 of 8, by babtras

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I should also note that I haven't been able to prove that the CPU is good either (don't have another 286 board with that socket and can't get one from eBay because sellers are in places where they cannot ship due to pandemic). The CPU apparently has a max power consumption of 1.3 Watts and the machine drops in power consumption between 2 and 3 watts if I pull the CPU and test again. But other things might be inactive in absence of the CPU so I don't know if that is meaningful.

Reply 6 of 8, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
babtras wrote on 2020-06-12, 06:30:

I have been considering buying one of these, but in this case it won't help me as this is a laptop/portable without any ISA expansion slots.

Ah, I see, makes sense. 😅 Maybe you can try using an POST dongle for LPT-Port then ?
I haven't used such a device before, but I heard that some laptops/PCs had the ability to send POST codes via parallel port, as well.
Anyway, it's just an idea. I hope the other vogons users have other sugestions, too! 😀

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 8 of 8, by Deunan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
babtras wrote on 2020-06-12, 02:24:

Pics of the motherboard attached.

A bit OT but man, one look at that mobo and I knew it's a JP system. All these weird connectors and track layout... I hope you get it running.