VOGONS

First post, by jasa1063

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I am currently putting together a retro build with this motherboard. I have seen in other threads that it is possible to use a Pentium MMX CPU. Is there a jumper configuration for a 3.5x multiplier to get 233Mhz? Everything I can find only mentions 3x with a 200Mhz CPU clock speed.

Reply 1 of 6, by SodaSuccubus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ah! Funny. I was pondering an MARL build one-day and asking this same question myself.

As far as I'm aware, I don't think the board had the required VRMs onboard for the split voltage MMX requires. I certainly couldn't see any.

You -might-be able to get away with running it overvolted if you have a good heatsink (Don't take my word on this though. OC at your own risk).

Reply 2 of 6, by jasa1063

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SodaSuccubus wrote on 2020-07-03, 03:31:

Ah! Funny. I was pondering an MARL build one-day and asking this same question myself.

As far as I'm aware, I don't think the board had the required VRMs onboard for the split voltage MMX requires. I certainly couldn't see any.

You -might-be able to get away with running it overvolted if you have a good heatsink (Don't take my word on this though. OC at your own risk).

Overvolting is the only way to get it to work. My understanding is that the Pentium MMX chips can tolerate 3.3v pretty well. I have an all copper heat sink ready to go, so I am willing to try. I looked at the original manual and then the specification update from a year later. There were 3 reserved jumper configurations for CPU multiplier. In the specification update there were only 2 as one of the reserved ones turned out to be for a 3x multiplier. I am guessing that the other 2 are for 3.5x and possibly 4x multipliers. I was curious if anyone had tried any of these before.

Reply 3 of 6, by jasa1063

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I got my Pentium 233Mhz MMX processor today and installed it, so far it's working at 200Mhz. I still will have to run it for awhile to see how it holds up over time, but it does look promising.