VOGONS

First post, by SodaSuccubus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Someone tell me I'm not going insane.

So here's the kicker.
I'm running both a generic Cirrus Logic VLB and a VLB IDE card. Every now and then iv noticed the computer seems to gimp up.

I got out of an long game of Dune 2 and right when I got back to the prompt it claimed the system couldn't find vital system files. Upon reboot the bios didn't report my CF card properly and even when I did get it to boot right it looks like some data got corrupted.

Othertimes id boot the machine and it simply won't get to the prompt. Itl start making video memory error beeps and display a "_" on the screen flashing.

Iv noticed more HDD/IDE issues then video though. The solution to get them behaving again is usually a reseat.

No issues with the SB16 on ISA. I do have a ISA IDE card but it only has 1 IDD connector (my SB16 only has non IDE slots) and I'm a bit worried about crippling the performance of my DX4 with the ISA bus.

Motherboard is a DataExpert EXP4044. I did take some isopropyl/rubbing alcohol wipes to the cards and the slots to clean before I put in the board.

Is this just normal for VLB?

Reply 1 of 6, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

isopropyl is not going to get oxidation off the cards or the slots.

You need to use an electronics cleaner.

I generally just use a soft pencil eraser for the cards and folded up paper for the slots though people will cry and say that I am wearing down the connectors by doing this.

Are the cards inserted all the way into the slots? Depending on the case, it may not be letting the cards seat all the way.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 2 of 6, by SodaSuccubus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-07-04, 20:37:
isopropyl is not going to get oxidation off the cards or the slots. […]
Show full quote

isopropyl is not going to get oxidation off the cards or the slots.

You need to use an electronics cleaner.

I generally just use a soft pencil eraser for the cards and folded up paper for the slots though people will cry and say that I am wearing down the connectors by doing this.

Are the cards inserted all the way into the slots? Depending on the case, it may not be letting the cards seat all the way.

Iv done the eraser trick on them both too. Yup their all seated down. Video is fine 90% of the time. It's the IDE that seems to act up the most.

Is duel VLB suppose to be troublesome?

Reply 3 of 6, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SodaSuccubus wrote on 2020-07-04, 20:43:

Iv done the eraser trick on them both too. Yup their all seated down. Video is fine 90% of the time. It's the IDE that seems to act up the most.

Is duel VLB suppose to be troublesome?

VLB is known for its difficulties but obviously it isn't supposed to be as bad as you're describing.

Can you identify what type of controller chip is on your IO card? On Linux RZ1000 and CMD640 chips are known for being very buggy and their drivers have workarounds in them (and profanity in the comments too). I don't know if those are likely to crop up on DOS though or if Linux just pushes them harder being a multitasking OS.

The other thing, and I'd like to hear from those with more hardware background, are 3.3V CPUs more troublesome than 5V for VLB? since there would have to be extra voltage conversion between VLB and the CPU. I thought by the time of DX4s and Am5x86s etc. the idea was to use them on a PCI motherboard or even a laptop as a "budget" machine.

Reply 4 of 6, by SodaSuccubus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's somekind of Winbond based controller.

ID is MIO 2050. You can find jumpers and a manual for it online.

Anyone else for any ideas on what's happening with the system?

Attachments

Reply 5 of 6, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Running 50Mhz? Or DX2 66 or DX4?

Winbond chipset are my favorites as well.

Is board running at 1 wait state instead of 0WS?

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 6 of 6, by SodaSuccubus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
pentiumspeed wrote on 2020-07-05, 02:30:
Running 50Mhz? Or DX2 66 or DX4? […]
Show full quote

Running 50Mhz? Or DX2 66 or DX4?

Winbond chipset are my favorites as well.

Is board running at 1 wait state instead of 0WS?

Cheers,

Hi! I'm running a DX4 Overdrive. Everything memory/cache wise is running as fast and tight as I can get them. Including 0WS.