VOGONS

First post, by Soyburger

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello I was given this 486 computer awhile back and I was curious what motherboard it has. I’m in the process of building a VLB 486 gaming computer and this might fit the bill, or at least hold me over until I get a nice one.

Anyway, I’ve attached photos, any help is greatly appreciated.

Reply 1 of 3, by MKT_Gundam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Bad news: Its a PCCHIPS with fake Cache chips

Retro rig 1: Asus CUV4X, VIA c3 800, Voodoo Banshee (Diamond fusion) and SB32 ct3670.
Retro rig 2: Intel DX2 66, SB16 Ct1740 and Cirrus Logic VLB.

Reply 2 of 3, by Soyburger

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It’s good news to know what it is though. Thanks! I’ll keep it for what I originally intended to use t for, copying files to 5 1/2 disks.

Reply 3 of 3, by ykot

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

PC Chips M912 ver 1.7. Actually, this is a pretty good board: with an updated BIOS, it supports hard drives up to 8Gb in size and works with latest Am5x86 CPUs. Regarding fake cache chips - you can unsolder them (first cut the legs then just unsolder the remaining pins), then solder cache sockets and put real cache into it.

I have exactly the same board but with real cache chips and sockets, and this board is pretty fast. Its BIOS uses graphics mode so looks rather nice. Despite the description on above web page, my board also seems to work fine with EDO memory and is the only one (along with another PC Chips M919 board that I have) among other 486 boards of mine to do it.