VOGONS

First post, by Atlantis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I began restoration of another vintage motherboard, this time Socket 3 486 model.
As usual there was a sign spilled acid from VART battery. Fortunately corrosion was mild and localized. Battery was already removed by the previous owner.
Aside the main problem that I will describe in a moment, there was a "keyboard error" message appearing on the POST screen. The keyboard was in fact non functioning. There were two suspiciously looking traces near the keyboard socket/battery. I removed th socked just tu bu sure there is no more destruction underneath. Fortunately damage was minimal, even the suspicious traces turned out not to be broken. After cleaning the area, tinning some traces and soldering keyboard socket again "keyboard error" disappeared.

Unfortunately there still is another problem. Board doesn't boot properly after connecting power. It sticks at diagnostic code, usually 05 06 or 13 14. After manually shorting RST pins it boots and appears to work normally. In rare situation manual restart needed to be repeated to have an effect. What may be the cause of such behavior? In 8bit systems there usually was a simple circuit, responsible for resetting CPU some time after power up. It looks like in this case such circuit is failing to do its jobs. How to locate and diagnose the it? May it be the fault of my power supply - mainly the fact that it has switch cables permanently shorted and is powered on by the plugging cable to the power strip?

Byt the way this board turns out to be quite picky when it comes to the RAM. It works with either 4x1MB 30-pin SIMM modules or 2x4MB 72pin single sided modules. It refudes to work with double sided 8MB modules.

Additional question. I am using this board with Am486DX 40 MHz CPU. Does it require external heatsink/cooler (I do not any at this moment) or can I use it safely without it?

Attachments

Reply 1 of 3, by kalohimal

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Seems to me like there are still problems with the traces around the corroded area. 0503 actually means current code 05, previous code 03. Same for 1413, current code is 14, meaning it is stuck at test 14. You can check the AMI POST codes here. Look for the table for AMI BIOS 1993. Perhaps a closeup picture of the battery area would be good.

Slow down your CPU with CPUSPD for DOS retro gaming.

Reply 3 of 3, by Atlantis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Miphee wrote on 2020-07-18, 10:35:

Some of my boards throw a 1314 when I forget to install RAM.

As you can see on photos, there is RAM installed. Anyway, it not an issue that would have been resolved by shorting reset pins. 😉
I made another observation: when board is turned on for the first time, it usually requires few resets to properly boot. After that, when it is turned off just for a moment, it boots just after one reset.

As you can see there is no sign of any damage due battery spill.
Do I need to use some heatsink or cooler with this CPU? If I remember correctly back then it was usually printed on the CPU, if cooler was needed. It isn't on this one, but it gets pretty hot (it is hard to put finger on its surface for more than just few seconds) so I am not sure. Is it normal?

Oh, one more think. I noticed that running DOOM crushes the system. Graphics on the screen breaks down and system stops responding. I didn't noticed it anywhere else, but I also didn't perform any "stress tests" due to not being sure if I can run it without heatsink.

Attachments