VOGONS

First post, by AeonG

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Good lord has my journey to build a Windows 98 PC been wrought with frustration. I finally got the power supply this PC has been needing for a while, and now when I boot it up, it wont recognize my "hard drive" (CF card reader) or my DVD drive. Heres the thing though: It worked just fine last time I had the exact same power supply in a month ago. I'm knowledgeable about computers, but probably not as much as you guys, so i'll try to tell you all every thing I know about my situation, first the image:

tyant400ide.png

My specs:
Power Supply: EVGA Supernova G2 550w taken from my main rig after I upgraded. I have a molex cable plugged into one of the SATA slots on the PSU, Having it plugged into "Peripheral" did the exact same thing, and I also tried the molex cable that came with the Corsair RMX power supply I upgraded my main PC with...it didn't even work for some reason.
Motherboard: Tyan Trinity 400 (the version with onboard sound and no ISA). I got it off ebay with the Pentium III processor and memory already installed, and the jumpers obviously already configured, though I doubt they would be causing this. The seller said the board was "refurbished" maybe I made the mistake of thinking they recapped it.
"Hard Drive": Startek CF to IDE card reader

I'm going to order new IDE cables,if it may fix the problem. If possible, would getting an IDE controller possibly fix this problem, and would it be hard to set up? If I have to replace the motherboard, what are some Pentium II/III motherboards that are known to be reliable?

Reply 1 of 5, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Despite Tyan generally having a reputation for rock-solid stability, this board in particular was a really fickle beast. I had one a year or two ago - I liked the idea of slot+socket with universal AGP and ISA in a test system. It was hell. Eventually I found a DFI board (TA64-B) with exactly the same feature set. I sold the Trinity 400 (despite explicitly mentioning it was a tricky board, the Tyan name helped shift it fast) and didn't look back.

The problems I had were almost all BIOS related. In particular, any hardware configuration change (such as inserting or removing a PnP PCI or ISA card) tended to trigger a CMOS checksum error, requiring a CMOS clear to get it back working again. But there were also resource conflicts (again PnP playing up, and sign of sloppy BIOS code) and detection issues.

But...

Despite my dim opinion of this board, it doesn't correspond to your experiences, so let's start with the basics. Get one known-good drive, jumper it for master and hook it up on the primary interface with no other drives. See what happens. Then try it on secondary. Then put it back on primary and add a (correctly jumpered) slave. Note that some (WD...) drives have separate settings for "single drive" and "master with slave" and will only work if exactly correctly set.
You also have a floppy drive error. What's going on there? If FDD and HDD are failing, it sounds like your modular PSU isn't delivering power correctly to the molex. Check the voltages coming out of the molex connectors.

Reply 3 of 5, by AeonG

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dionb wrote on 2020-09-24, 07:45:

Despite Tyan generally having a reputation for rock-solid stability, this board in particular was a really fickle beast. I had one a year or two ago - I liked the idea of slot+socket with universal AGP and ISA in a test system. It was hell. Eventually I found a DFI board (TA64-B) with exactly the same feature set. I sold the Trinity 400 (despite explicitly mentioning it was a tricky board, the Tyan name helped shift it fast) and didn't look back.

The problems I had were almost all BIOS related. In particular, any hardware configuration change (such as inserting or removing a PnP PCI or ISA card) tended to trigger a CMOS checksum error, requiring a CMOS clear to get it back working again. But there were also resource conflicts (again PnP playing up, and sign of sloppy BIOS code) and detection issues.

Well SHIT. That is exactly what I got this board for, testing hardware and also testing software in different environments before I uploading it to an archive. I'm noticing the DFI TA64-B on Ebay is going for over 200 dollars, but there are some TA64-Bs by other manufacturers like ASUS that are much cheaper, maybe I'll look into those.

dionb wrote on 2020-09-24, 07:45:

You also have a floppy drive error. What's going on there? If FDD and HDD are failing, it sounds like your modular PSU isn't delivering power correctly to the molex. Check the voltages coming out of the molex connectors.

That might be the problem, however it's just saying that because no floppy drive currently installed. It worked before without one using the same PSU, and I plan to get one eventually, just not right now. Sorry, I should have mentioned that.

PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2020-09-24, 08:00:

Seems to be a board from an old MicronPC system - if you can, maybe try the latest Tyan bios (v1.07)

I take it that the MicronPC and Tyan bios are different?

Reply 4 of 5, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
AeonG wrote on 2020-09-24, 10:16:

[...]

Well SHIT. That is exactly what I got this board for, testing hardware and also testing software in different environments before I uploading it to an archive. I'm noticing the DFI TA64-B on Ebay is going for over 200 dollars, but there are some TA64-Bs by other manufacturers like ASUS that are much cheaper, maybe I'll look into those.

There's no such thing. If it's a TA64, it's not an Asus board. I just spotted two on eBay, they are just sellers unaware of what they are selling. Still massively overpriced IMHO. And anyway, before you spend a penny on other hardware, figure out exactly what is wrong here.

That might be the problem, however it's just saying that because no floppy drive currently installed. It worked before without one using the same PSU, and I plan to get one eventually, just not right now. Sorry, I should have mentioned that.

If it's saying that and there's no floppy, it means BIOS is not correctly configured. Have you actually configured IDE in BIOS?

Reply 5 of 5, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
AeonG wrote on 2020-09-24, 10:16:
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2020-09-24, 08:00:

Seems to be a board from an old MicronPC system - if you can, maybe try the latest Tyan bios (v1.07)

I take it that the MicronPC and Tyan bios are different?

MicronPC referred to this board as the 'Tazer' rather than the Trinity 400, and it's unclear how different this OEM version might have been from the Tyan retail model, but the BIOS history is certainly different

Filename
TYAN_MICRONPC BIOS.txt
File size
3.23 KiB
Downloads
39 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception