VOGONS

First post, by travonconroy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Are you wondering whether to choose a complete skateboard or assemble one yourself? Don't worry! This article will help you find out the answer. I guarantee that after reading this article you will know which one you should choose. I won't list products here, but if you want to see the best complete skateboard available in the market, you can hit this link: https://skateadvisors.com/best-complete-skateboards.html

Complete skateboards are better for new skateboarders because they are easy to buy. But for advanced skateboarders, there are some reasons for not buying pre-built boards.

When buying a complete skateboard, the most concern is about the quality. Completes usually have high-quality decks, but other parts are trash. Trucks are unbranded, wheels are low-quality low-quality polyurethane, cheap bearings making the wheels not spinning properly or blocking.

skateboard-full-deck.jpg?fit=crop

Novice, if you are checking if you can skateboard, then you can buy a complete. But for those who have been skateboarding for a while and have decided to play seriously for a long time, then in my opinion you'd better build one yourself. Some of the problems with pre-assembled boards that many people encounter are trucks too tight or too loose, deck twists, or wheels not spinning or blocking. When these problems happen, you will have to either return the product or replace the part, and in the end, it costs you even more money than building one.

In my opinion, I find it fun to assemble the skateboard parts by myself. You will know how the components work, and you can take a close look at each. Make sure you buy the correct size, the right components, and a set of tools to be able to assemble.

Now, I will give you some ideas to set up a skateboard, let’s go!

All-round beginners

As I said earlier, beginners should opt for a complete, but if you want to do all by yourself, you can consider this setup. This one works for all styles.

Deck width: 8”
Wheels size: 52 and 54mm; You can go for either Spitfire or Bones wheels.
Standard Bones reds include grip tape, spacers, and hardware to attach the trucks.
If you want more stability you can choose an 8.25'' wide deck. With this board, you can still perform flip tricks. However, make sure you choose trucks to fit, otherwise everything will be ruined.

Setup 1: 8.0 deck, Independent 139 Trucks or Thunder 147 Trucks, Spitfire Wheels or Bones wheels, Bones Reds bearings, Jessup Grip Tape, 7/8 hardware.

Setup 2: 8.25 deck, Independent 144 Trucks or Thunder 148 Trucks, Spitfire Wheels or Bones wheels, Bones Reds bearings, Jessup Grip Tape, 7/8 hardware.
For choosing skateboards and parts, more details can be found by visiting SkateAdvisors here or follow on: https://getpocket.com/@skateadvisors

Skate park setups

This setup is great for park and transition skateboarding. The deck is wider making it more stable; Indy trucks for turning, Bones SkatePark Formula wheels are the best for tricks at skate parks

Setup:
Setup 1: 8.0 deck, Independent 139 Trucks or Thunder 147 Trucks, Spitfire Classics or Bones STF, Bones Reds bearings, Jessup Grip Tape, 7/8 hardware.

Setup 2: 8.25 deck, Independent 144 Trucks or Thunder 148 Trucks, others remain the same as setup 1.

Setup 3: 8.5 deck, Independent 149 Trucks or Thunder 149 Trucks, others remain.

Technical skating setups

This setup is for those who are street skating style who like riding on streets and do gnarly stuff. The wheels that most street skaters like are Spitfire Classics 52 mm-54 mm/99D, Bones STF. The deck can be brand B deck, and trucks can be Thunder, Venture, Royal, or Indy. Bearings are Standard bones Reds, and 7/8 hardware.

Setup 1: 8.0 deck, Independent 139 Trucks or Thunder 147 Trucks, Bones Reds bearings, Jessup Grip Tape, Spitfire Classics or Bones STF, 7/8 hardware.

Setup 2: 8.25 deck, Independent 144 Trucks or Thunder 148 Trucks, others remain.
You can refer to my above setups or you can also create other setups by yourself based on these. Pay attention to the size of each part, you won't want a skateboard with excess parts sticking out and sharp edges.

Last edited by travonconroy on 2021-02-09, 15:38. Edited 1 time in total.