VOGONS

First post, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I got a cheapo unbranded motherboard to make a socket 1156 PC. It's got the "good" P55 chipset which could allow for voltage changes, BLK changes etc in the BIOS. Unfortunately the BIOS is very limited and doesn't support the CPU Turbo mode, no RAM above 1333MHz, and doesn't have a temperature monitor or fan control so the fans are spinning at 100% all the time.

This unbranded BIOS obviously isn't ever going to officially be updated and I'm not sure where it comes from. If it has a generic BIOS on there, can I replace it with another generic BIOS?

If the BIOS doesn't havea flashing tool, can I still even boot from a USB to update the BIOS?

The BIOS is described as:

AMIBIOS
Version: 08.00.15
Build Date: 05/28/19
ID: ZP55M003

Reply 1 of 4, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Take a look here:
BIOS Modification

That said, you'll need to do some identification beyond 'unbranded' to stand a chance, and given risks involved I hope (fat chance on an 1156 board) that you have a socketed EEPROM so you can recover from mistake easily.

Reply 2 of 4, by Dekih12

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Almoststew1990 wrote on 2019-11-06, 07:06:
I got a cheapo unbranded motherboard to make a socket 1156 PC. It's got the "good" P55 chipset which could allow for voltage cha […]
Show full quote

I got a cheapo unbranded motherboard to make a socket 1156 PC. It's got the "good" P55 chipset which could allow for voltage changes, BLK changes etc in the BIOS. Unfortunately the BIOS is very limited and doesn't support the CPU Turbo mode, no RAM above 1333MHz, and doesn't have a temperature monitor or fan control so the fans are spinning at 100% all the time.

This unbranded BIOS obviously isn't ever going to officially be updated and I'm not sure where it comes from. If it has a generic BIOS on there, can I replace it with another generic BIOS?

If the BIOS doesn't havea flashing tool, can I still even boot from a USB to update the BIOS?

The BIOS is described as:

AMIBIOS
Version: 08.00.15
Build Date: 05/28/19
ID: ZP55M003

Hey. I have the same problem. Did you find something, any updates bios or something? If you do, you are saving my life 🤣.

Reply 3 of 4, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

AFAIK it's impossible. These boards are far to complicated for generic BIOS to rule them all. Not to mention that they have hidden subsystem which most likely won't like that too.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 4 of 4, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dekih12 wrote on 2020-10-10, 11:40:

Hey. I have the same problem. Did you find something, any updates bios or something? If you do, you are saving my life 🤣.

No sorry, I gave up with that board and I bought a proper P55 motherboard and have never looked back!