VOGONS

First post, by iVirtualZero

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Update: Ouch i screwed up both CPU’s but fixed my motherboard and ended up replacing the cpu’s. Will never do this again, blades just don’t work in this situation. Original post: I decided to Delid my Retro PC build as i have successfully Delidded many PS3 consoles. But the same method didn’t work on one of my CPU’s. As i ended up scratching multiple traces and slightly damaging the dye. I scraped some of the paint off with a fiber glass pen to double check, and yes the traces were damaged . But the second one seems like it was a success as i used a different method using my thinner 32 gauge knife and could not find a scratch. I ran the PC with two of my CPU’s before checking for damaged traces. But one of the semiconductors next to the damaged CPU on the motherboard got fried. I removed the damaged cpu and the pc seems to be running fine. With the other CPU, nothing else is getting fried. But i get no video signal. I will be replacing the semiconductor. And as these CPU’s have adaptor sockets installed. Is there a way to desolder the adaptor? Update: I’ve successfully desoldered the adaptor using a rework station.

Last edited by iVirtualZero on 2021-02-01, 04:26. Edited 4 times in total.

Reply 1 of 8, by computerguy08

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't want to be offensive, but delidding Tualatins is a stupid idea. What exactly were you aiming for ?

Reply 2 of 8, by limsolo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah I was wondering the same?

BeBox PPC Dual 133, NeXTCube Turbo - Dimension, NeXTStation Turbo Color, SGI Octane R12k x2 MXE Impact, Alienware 15r3 GTX 1080, MacBook Pro Retina 2012, Macintosh Plus, Macintosh Quadra 840av, Macintosh Quadra 650, Wallstreet 500 (G4), Pismo 550 (G4).

Reply 3 of 8, by keenerb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That should be an easy enough part to replace. I'd do it and see what happens. Just use a normal CPU though...

Reply 5 of 8, by iVirtualZero

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
computerguy08 wrote on 2020-11-11, 09:24:

I don't want to be offensive, but delidding Tualatins is a stupid idea. What exactly were you aiming for ?

Delidding addiction i guess. It was pointless. I thought it would be easy but it wasn’t. Don’t think it will make much of a difference. I will replace the parts and see what happens from there. The temps were roughly around 50 Degrees Celsius.

Last edited by iVirtualZero on 2020-11-11, 21:31. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 6 of 8, by iVirtualZero

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
limsolo wrote on 2020-11-11, 09:50:

Yeah I was wondering the same?

Is there a reason why one of the parts on the motherboard got fried? I thought motherboards of this era would shut off immediately. And if it was running the other cpu without frying anything else. Does that mean that i’ve successfully Delidded the other?

Reply 7 of 8, by computerguy08

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
iVirtualZero wrote on 2020-11-11, 21:25:

Delidding addiction i guess. It was pointless. I thought it would be easy but it wasn’t. Don’t think it will make much of a difference. I will replace the parts and see what happens from there. The temps were roughly around 50 Degrees Celsius.

It's one of those things that you live and you learn. At least you acknowledged it's usefulness (or lack there of) 😉

Whereas why that component burned, I've had the exact same thing happen on me a long time ago with a P3 Coppermine, which had a cracked die. Wish I had a closer look at the CPU before using it.

Reply 8 of 8, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a few Opterons 1XX that the lid just fell off 🤣

What do you use to "glue" everything back together? Liquid metal? I also have some thermal glue.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs