VOGONS

First post, by pythno

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

on an Asus CUBX-L with a 1GHz Pentium III installed I get a Power Warning. The BIOS states that the VCORE -5V is -12V from the PSU. I replaced the old PSU - which died - with a Corsair VS350.
I did not start the system further. I guess there is damage expected when booting the system with -12V instead of the -5V expected? Are there PSUs that still support those old Specs?

Reply 1 of 7, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Have you tested the VS350 with a ATX voltage tester or DVM ? It is possible it is bad or when the old PSU died it did something not good to your CUBX board.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 7, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi! The Corsair VS350 does not have a -5V rail so I believe the monitoring chip simply misinterprets the missing voltage as -12V.*
If the board monitors the -5V rail some sort of warning is to be expected if the voltage is missing so I wouldn't be too concerned. You can try and see if you can disable monitoring for -5V in the BIOS settings.
-5V is only used an a few ISA cards and older motherboards and probably not needed for your use case.
Both -5V and -12V have nothing to do with Vcore so I can see how this message would be pretty misleading.

Edit: *The BIOS probably misinterprets the "far out" value delivered by the monitoring chip as -12V.

Reply 3 of 7, by pythno

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you both for the infos!! So if I would put an ISA card into the system would that harm the device? Or would it simply just not work? I was able to ignore the report of the BIOS and could boot just fine. System seems to run stable so far.
I hope the MB was not harmed by the PSU that blew up. But so far every card is detected properly.

Reply 7 of 7, by Ydee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@pythno: I had something like that with Asus TUWE-M, faulty monitoring IC (Mozart-2) warning about wrong voltages, fan spins, temps etc. Fortunately, it can be disabled in BIOS setup. But your board has different monitoring IC...