VOGONS

First post, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have the chance to buy this CPU for a good price but the seller doesn't have a mainboard to test it, I don't have one either.
How reliable are these? I know it's impossible to tell but I know that socket 462 Athlons are very sensitive to cooling failures, one second without a cooler with an Athlon 462 and it's toast. What about the slot A variations? Are these reliably built like the slot 1 Intels?

Attachments

• k7650c.jpg
    Filename
    k7650c.jpg
    File size
    180.33 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • k7650b.jpg
    Filename
    k7650b.jpg
    File size
    183.09 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • k7650a.jpg
    Filename
    k7650a.jpg
    File size
    166.09 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 2 of 14, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mwdmeyer wrote on 2021-01-27, 21:13:

Should be fine. The motherboards are harder to get working though....

Yes, probably won't get a board anytime soon.

Reply 3 of 14, by PD2JK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you damage these, something really went wrong. Struck by lightning, power surge, exploded power supply, extraordinary temperatures, et cetera...

The voltage/multiplier couldn't be set higher without a GFD, which required opening the CPU package.

Do you have some 50mm fans laying around? 😀
Oh and check if the L2 cache makes contact with the heatspreader. To my experience, the paste can be a bit misplaced. They should have used pads because of the 2mm space between.
Be careful when disassembling, it's quite challenging if you're planning to.

i386 16 ⇒ i486 DX4 100 ⇒ Pentium MMX 200 ⇒ Athlon Orion 700 | TB 1000 ⇒ AthlonXP 1700+ ⇒ Opteron 165 ⇒ Dual Opteron 856

Reply 4 of 14, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PD2JK wrote on 2021-01-27, 21:24:

If you damage these, something really went wrong. Struck by lightning, power surge, exploded power supply, extraordinary temperatures, et cetera...

Nothing to test it with so that will have to wait.
But if you guys say that it's a reliable design then I'll buy it because it's my first slot A CPU. 😀

Reply 5 of 14, by PD2JK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Congrats! Welcome to the club. Now on to fetch a nice board.

I'm working on a tormented Abit KA7; about 30 caps blown, missing heatsink, missing SMD capacitors, few bend pins IN the slot (for crying out loud)....

i386 16 ⇒ i486 DX4 100 ⇒ Pentium MMX 200 ⇒ Athlon Orion 700 | TB 1000 ⇒ AthlonXP 1700+ ⇒ Opteron 165 ⇒ Dual Opteron 856

Reply 6 of 14, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PD2JK wrote on 2021-01-27, 21:36:

Congrats! Welcome to the club. Now on to fetch a nice board.

I'm working on a tormented Abit KA7; about 30 caps blown, missing heatsink, missing SMD capacitors, few bend pins IN the slot (for crying out loud)....

Thanks!
I haven't seen a slot A board on the local auction site since I started collecting hardware in 2019. It's like the socket 8 board for me. Plenty of Pentium Pros, zero boards. Well, I'm patient. 😀

Reply 10 of 14, by mwdmeyer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah hard to find. I have been lucky to have two although the first one died very quickly. The second one I think is an OEM compaq one but works well. The fan is very loud on the CPU, need to replace it.

Vogons Wiki - http://vogonswiki.com

Reply 12 of 14, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Miphee wrote on 2021-01-30, 02:02:

So it's missing a fan I presume? Or were they sold with a heatsink only?

My only K7 Slot A (K7-600MTR51B-C) came without any heatsink or fan originally, uses same as a P2 H/S fan AFAIK. It looks just like a Pentium II without the heatsink+fan.
Have had it for years along with the Asus K7M board and still works using a P2-dual fan P2/slot A cooler.
Good luck finding a board but Asus, Abit and Gigabyte made some good ones...
On the socket 8: found a good board and included cpu+ram for ~$70 US back in June, is a DFI board. They do not come up often but sometimes get lucky 😀
Will keep my eye out for soc8 board for you.

Attachments

• Img_1500s.jpg
    Filename
    Img_1500s.jpg
    File size
    311.51 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 13 of 14, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's a pretty good price for a socket 8 board.
I curse the day I sold my Compaq Deskpro! I didn't really care for the Pentium Pro back then.
It's ironic because now I have 2 Pentium Pro cards for an IBM 704 but not the server itself. 😁

(not my images, I only have 1 of the cards populated)

Attachments

• CIMG2592.jpg
    Filename
    CIMG2592.jpg
    File size
    137.19 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 14 of 14, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Horun wrote on 2021-01-30, 02:54:

Will keep my eye out for soc8 board for you.

That's very kind of you. Your board looks almost like one of my slot1 boards. I had to remove the green chipset heatsink because the CPU didn't fit in the socket with that on. 😁