VOGONS

First post, by pan069

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So, I'm putting together this XP build, nothing special but I'm running into an odd problem. When I connect DVI instead of VGA, I'm limited in the number of video resolutions I can pick.

My display is an NEC MultiSync P212 (native 1600 x 1200) and my GPU is an NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT. For both I have the drivers installed and when I run some games, it all works fine.

However, when connected to VGA I can selected a "wide" range of different resolutions but the moment I switch to DVI I'm limited to 800x600, 1024x768 and 1200x1600 (that's correct, not 1600x1200 which would be the displays native resolution but, 1200x1600).

The DVI landscape seems to be a bit of a minefield (looking at the Wikipedia page [1]).

Is DVI really worth it? Should I just stick with VGA?

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface

Reply 1 of 9, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

some DVI only have certain "preset" resolutions built in where Analog has many. Not sure why it sets as 1200x1600 instead of 1600x1200 under Digital unless the monitor .inf was bad.
I would try: double check the monitor driver, a different DVI cable, a different video card... in that order.
One thing: some of my older monitors with both Analog and DVI can adjust brightness/contrast/etc from the monitor controls under Analog mode but not using DVI. Have to use software to adjust under digital which sucks !
Doubt I mentioned anything useful but know that DVI is more clear picture-wise but way less user friendly on older monitors... just my opinion 😀

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 9, by pan069

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for that.

I'm actually using the DVI cable that came with the monitor. Even though I didn't get the monitor new, it came with all the cables. The DVI cable was still in it's plastic wrapping etc. I was using a different DVI cable at first, one I had lying around, it felt kinda thin, it also had less pins then the one that came with the display. However, there ins't any difference between them. The one that came with the display has "all" the pins.

I downloaded the latest monitor driver from the Sharp/NEC website [1].

I was hoping for the clearer picture but all this DVI weirdness seems to be a lot of hassle... 😀

[1] https://www.sharpnecdisplays.us/monitor-insta … twaredownloads/

Reply 3 of 9, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I would guess that the monitor thinks that it is in portrait mode rather than landscape mode . See manual page 23 https://www.sharpnecdisplays.eu/p/download/v/ … 2_CD_EN_V04.pdf

I do not know whether setting the OSD mode to landscape rather than portrait (assuming it isn't already) would fix it, but it is worth a try, IMHO .

Reply 4 of 9, by pan069

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
darry wrote on 2021-02-28, 05:09:

I would guess that the monitor thinks that it is in portrait mode rather than landscape mode

Yeah, it's a weird one. The NVIDIA settings have options to rotate the display but the moment I switch to 1200x1600, then rotate, it switches the resolution back to 800x600.

And then also, why only report the 1200x1600 in a weird way and not the 1024x768 and 800x600? Not directly a question to you, just thinking out loud....

Reply 5 of 9, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What driver version are you using? The latest nvidia drivers for XP are pretty bad. Rolling back a release or two can actually restore a lot of features that they took out for no god reason.

If you monitor supports VGA I would use that.

Reply 6 of 9, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
pan069 wrote on 2021-02-28, 05:23:
darry wrote on 2021-02-28, 05:09:

I would guess that the monitor thinks that it is in portrait mode rather than landscape mode

Yeah, it's a weird one. The NVIDIA settings have options to rotate the display but the moment I switch to 1200x1600, then rotate, it switches the resolution back to 800x600.

And then also, why only report the 1200x1600 in a weird way and not the 1024x768 and 800x600? Not directly a question to you, just thinking out loud....

All the lower resolutions "fit" in 1200x1600 , so maybe that's why they are allowed/shown. I know that does not fully make sense either . Strange one, IMHO. Personally, when I find and LCD that doesn't agree with me, I throw a custom programmed EDID emulator at it and can usually call it a day . A software-only alternative is overriding the EDID with a registry key for the Nvidia drivers . I have never done that myself, AFAICR, but I believe there is documentation on how to proceed on Vogons and on Google .

Reply 7 of 9, by pan069

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mothergoose729 wrote on 2021-02-28, 05:42:

What driver version are you using? The latest nvidia drivers for XP are pretty bad.

I'm using the video drivers on the original CD that came with the card, I bought this video card, like 15 years ago or so... From a video perspective, everything seems to work OK and in VGA mode there doesn't seem to be a problem at all. I was just hoping that DVI would give a better image quality but it seems to have issues of its own...

Reply 8 of 9, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
mothergoose729 wrote on 2021-02-28, 05:42:

What driver version are you using? The latest nvidia drivers for XP are pretty bad. Rolling back a release or two can actually restore a lot of features that they took out for no god reason.

If you monitor supports VGA I would use that.

Trying an older driver is a good idea indeed .

Using VGA instead of DVI can be an option if the quality of your video card's VGA output is decent and you have a good quality cable . 1600x1200@60Hz is rather demanding and can look crappy over VGA (fuzziness and or ringing/ghosting) if the stars do not align .

Last edited by Stiletto on 2021-03-05, 23:31. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 9 of 9, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a CRT monitor so for me it works pretty good. Things are less crispy at 1600x1200@75hz but I attribute that to the limited dot pitch more than the VGA connection. My 980ti has a noticeably better DAC than my Voodoo 3, for what that's worth.