VOGONS

First post, by Grayshazzle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey guys, just finished the 98 build and everything works great. After finishing on the other hand, I started to think about the RPM which is what I probably should have thought out in the beginning (mistake). I have a 1.4GHz modded Tualatin with a copper socket 370 StarTech cooler. I replaced the 60mm fan with a 3-pin 12V Noctua NF-A6x25 FLX. I think the RPM for the fan is around 3000 while the StarTech fan was around the 4000 range. I felt the heatsink a little while it was running and it seemed a little warm but is that basically normal? Also yes the fan is facing the right side 🤣 Looking from the top of the fan is the intake side and is exhausting it onto to the copper heatsink. Also the PC has run pretty nice with not a lot of slowdowns, so I was just making sure that this fan and heatsink copper combo should be somewhat reasonable or optimal for the build. Thanks.

Reply 1 of 8, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think as long as it's not "ouch that's hot" when you touch it after running it with a full load for awhile it should be fine.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 2 of 8, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

As long as the fan is spinning it should work.

Typically you blow down into the cooler but both ways will work.

On the side of most fans it has arrows showing the airflow and fan rotation.

The heatsink being warm is normal. If it’s too hot to touch there may be an issue. Lol just be sure there is thermal compound between the cooler and the cpu die

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 3 of 8, by Grayshazzle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Sphere478 wrote on 2021-03-06, 23:39:
As long as the fan is spinning it should work. […]
Show full quote

The heatsink being warm is normal. If it’s too hot to touch there may be an issue. Lol just be sure there is thermal compound between the cooler and the cpu die

Awesome, thank you and everyone else. Was my fan placement not correct, I thought the exhaust side with the brackets should be sitting on the heatsink so the intake comes from the top and the onto the heatsink if I got that right. Just confirming.

Reply 4 of 8, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Grayshazzle wrote on 2021-03-06, 23:58:
Show full quote

Awesome, thank you and everyone else. Was my fan placement not correct, I thought the exhaust side with the brackets should be sitting on the heatsink so the intake comes from the top and the onto the heatsink if I got that right. Just confirming.

It would help if we had pictures. But it’s hard to do so bad you have an issue.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 5 of 8, by Grayshazzle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Sphere478 wrote on 2021-03-07, 00:02:
Show full quote

This is from LGR's build but the fan is just like that.

Attachments

• 1.png
    Filename
    1.png
    File size
    85.17 KiB
    Views
    File license
    CC-BY-4.0

Reply 6 of 8, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Grayshazzle wrote on 2021-03-07, 00:31:

Looks fine. I hate how the screws are messing up the fins but that won’t hurt much

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 7 of 8, by Grayshazzle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Sphere478 wrote on 2021-03-07, 01:09:
Grayshazzle wrote on 2021-03-07, 00:31:

Looks fine. I hate how the screws are messing up the fins but that won’t hurt much

True, mine isn't like that luckily 🤣 It goes into the sides and doesn't affect the heatsink at all, once again it is also copper 😀 Thanks man I appreciate it. Lastly, I just did a temp check with my hand at full load, is very cool!

Reply 8 of 8, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Any time 😀

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-