VOGONS

First post, by blakespot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've got a Tandy 1000HX system that normally is powered by an 8MHz 8088-2 CPU. I've upgraded the machine in several regards, replacing the 8088-2 with an NEC V20, expanding to 640K of RAM (w/ the DMA controller added), XTIDE CF "HD", and a dual 16550 UART serial board. I've got a WiFi232 "modem" on the serial port.

51041086363_32968467ac.jpg

I like to use the system for ANSI-heavy BBSs and find that using that setup and comm programs such as BananaCom, Commo77, etc. (which detect the UART) I can get rock solid rendering of the ANSI-heavy sites @ 19,200 baud, but at 38,400 it breaks down here and there (codes exposed, broken screen rendering). Is anyone aware of a DOS comm program that, working with this setup, would allow 38,400, solid BBSing? Maybe the hardware just can't take it.

My Amiga 1000 w/ FAST RAM suffers the same, but at 19,200; 9,600 baud is the best I can get out of that with onboard serial and using a 4-bitplane, 16-color terminal screen mode w/ ANSI translation. Although, I am about to try an optimized driver on that system that might take things farther. The Amiga is a more powerful system, but it lacks a text mode and so I understand why the Tandy performs better in that scenario.

bp

:: Visit the Byte Cellar, my vintage computer blog (since 2004).
:: See a panorama of my own Byte Cellar (a.k.a. basement computer room)...
:: twitter: @blakespot