VOGONS

First post, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So the other day I was cleaning out my Roomba 500 series vaccum and I took out the front caster wheel. It has this little axle through the wheel made of sturdy metal, and I thought it looked to be the right diameter to fit through the Commodore 1084S monitor door lower hinges. (mine broke off the other day while I was just sitting there on the other computer -- peg snapped) So I took the little Roomba axle part and went back to my monitor to see if it was the same size. Sure enough, exactly a perfect fit. It is approximately 13/64" diameter. I didn't want to use my good Roomba wheel axle, so I bought a spare on Ebay for less than $4 shipped. This is a 30 minute repair.

Caster Wheel, iRobot Roomba Part# 4624869
ZKvYSyh.jpg

Axle part removed from the center of the wheel -- alternatively, you can use any 13/64" round stock:
1d3rvbWh.jpg

Next I cut the middle narrow piece out with a Dremel tool cutoff disk.. that's better -- two nice sturdy pegs for the monitor door:
NAzqzX6h.jpg

Yep, perfect fit:
4WF45jGh.jpg

Next, you'll need one of these little micro hand drills:
j1OW6QFh.jpg

Where the pegs broke off, drill a little pilot hole in the center, very carefully from the inside face. This pilot hole takes the longest to drill:
n7hUHiGh.jpg

Keep drilling out the same hole, stepping up with larger and larger drill bits, until you reach 13/64" diameter:
HOCfz7nh.jpg

After the pilot hole, you can drill from the outside, which is 10x easier on your fingers. Do both sides of the monitor if both your pegs are broke off, or if you just want extra sturdy pegs that won't break if you look at them wrong.

Insert the pegs into the holes. They should fit really tight and not need any glue/epoxy. Mine are definitely not coming out:
w4v3vS8h.jpg

L0BL7HEh.jpg

View of the peg from the outside face:
Cntg3p1h.jpg

Fit the monitor door/cover back on, right side first:
ApIIc5ch.jpg

And then the left side:
3d37Pg4h.jpg

Close it back up and you're done!
hJDSyJKh.jpg

If the little peg for the latch broke off your monitor door, you can just use some velcro dots between the door and monitor to hold the door shut. Alternatively, you can use the baking soda and super glue method to re-form a new peg.

Update: I used a 3D printed latch peg to fix my door latch. (super glued in place) The STL file is attached. Don't remember where I found it.. maybe somewhere on Discord or Facebook.

IanNRMah.jpg

Hopefully this helps someone. 😀

Attachments

• Filename
    1084S_Latch.zip
    File size
    323.36 KiB
    Downloads
    55 downloads
    File comment
    1084S Latch
    File license
    Public domain
Last edited by wiretap on 2021-11-30, 18:00. Edited 1 time in total.

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals