VOGONS

First post, by Tyrant

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys, I've just bought an ATI Radeon r9600 XT 256mb AGP graphics card for my 98se setup and I can't get 3d functions working. Test Direct3d Acceleration caused DXdiag to close without anything showing. AGP Texture Acceleration is also not available. I've installed one chipset driver for intel i845 but it didn't help. I'm assuming there's an AGP driver for one of these chips I haven't installed but I'm having trouble figuring out what to even search for. I installed the ATI Catalyst 4.1 to no avail. I can't launch the ATI Control Panel, I don't even know where it is. Someone help me please 🙁

P4BM2

Intel FW829018A
L1300321
SL N

iTE IT8708F-A
0132-AXB
M3J374

C3DX CMI878/PCI-6CH-MX
HRTF 3D Audio

ASUS ASM58 Mozart-2

Reply 2 of 18, by computerguy08

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Something similar happened to me on a VIA board, I had to install the 4in1 drivers to get the AGP card to work correctly in 98SE.

You might want to take a look at this: https://www.philscomputerlab.com/intel-chipset-drivers.html

Version 4.10.1012 might be the one you need.

Reply 3 of 18, by Tyrant

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Warlord wrote on 2021-03-29, 08:03:

That is currently installed, no error message which is good but still overall problem is present.

Reply 4 of 18, by Tyrant

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
computerguy08 wrote on 2021-03-29, 09:07:

Something similar happened to me on a VIA board, I had to install the 4in1 drivers to get the AGP card to work correctly in 98SE.

You might want to take a look at this: https://www.philscomputerlab.com/intel-chipset-drivers.html

Version 4.10.1012 might be the one you need.

That one did look familiar. I already tried that one, should I try a later one?

Reply 6 of 18, by Tyrant

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
computerguy08 wrote on 2021-03-29, 10:15:

Is this the only VGA card you have ? Maybe try something like a TNT2, see if it works.

I put in my FX5200 and it works, quite smooth too. Shame the 9600 won't work.

Reply 8 of 18, by Tyrant

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
computerguy08 wrote on 2021-03-29, 14:21:

It may be a GPU driver quirk with 98SE, does the 9600 work in Windows XP ?

I'm not sure man I haven't got an XP computer. This isn't in a virtual simulator it's a genuine old computer. Do you have any tips by the way on how to maximise performance? It's still not quite as smooth as it should be, my processor is only 1.5ghz do you think getting a faster processor would help?

Reply 9 of 18, by flupke11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

More info is probably helpful.

How much ram have you got installed? What kind of storage are you running ?

A 1500 P4 should be sufficient for a smooth Win98, but your board can support higher frequencies. A 2,8/512/400 might be difficult to source, but any 2GHz+ 400FSB Northwood will be a significant boost.

Try a new, clean win98 installation, and install the chipset drivers from Asus' site before installing the Ati drivers.
You can install WinXP alongside Win98, so it is indeed not a bad idea to try the card out under that OS.

Reply 10 of 18, by Tyrant

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
flupke11 wrote on 2021-03-29, 16:57:
More info is probably helpful. […]
Show full quote

More info is probably helpful.

How much ram have you got installed? What kind of storage are you running ?

A 1500 P4 should be sufficient for a smooth Win98, but your board can support higher frequencies. A 2,8/512/400 might be difficult to source, but any 2GHz+ 400FSB Northwood will be a significant boost.

Try a new, clean win98 installation, and install the chipset drivers from Asus' site before installing the Ati drivers.
You can install WinXP alongside Win98, so it is indeed not a bad idea to try the card out under that OS.

A quick update I managed to get the graphics card working but I did notice under the fan and heat sink it looks a little dirty. Do you think I'll notice a performance boost if I remove that and clean it up? Add new thermal paste? Also in terms of processors I understand that I need a 478 pin but I'm not sure what the best processor is. I saw in a BIOS update on ASUS' website that the update allows for speeds up to 2.8ghz but I also understand that this alone does not determine the power of the processor. I'm a little lost on what to look for.

https://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-ASUS/P4B-M.html

So I found that, so I should try to find the best out of that list then I guess? The Pentium 4 2.6 GHz

Reply 11 of 18, by flupke11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Your GPU will be thankful if you clean out its fan and the heatsink, but it will not make it faster. It will, however, increase its longevity. Heat is a killer in our world.

Your mainboard accepts Pentium 4 cpu's in its socket 478 (478 pins), but only with a Front Side Bus of 400, which limits you to the list mentioned. Your best and cheapest bet is a 2 Ghz+ Pentium 4 with 512kb of cache on said 400 FSB. Try to avoid the 2.0/256/400, as these are significantly slower. The 256 kb cache are called "Willamete", the 512kb cache (the ones you want) "Northwood". Do not buy a 533 or 800 MHz FSB processor, it will not run at its advertised speed (if it runs at all).

The 2.8/512/400 is the fastest cpu for your board, but such a cpu might be difficult or a bit more expensive.

Determining factors of susceptible speed on a retro system (excluding 3D-graphics):

1. Hard drive or equivalent performance
5. CPU
6. Type of RAM

Reply 12 of 18, by Tyrant

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
flupke11 wrote on 2021-03-30, 20:14:
Your GPU will be thankful if you clean out its fan and the heatsink, but it will not make it faster. It will, however, increase […]
Show full quote

Your GPU will be thankful if you clean out its fan and the heatsink, but it will not make it faster. It will, however, increase its longevity. Heat is a killer in our world.

Your mainboard accepts Pentium 4 cpu's in its socket 478 (478 pins), but only with a Front Side Bus of 400, which limits you to the list mentioned. Your best and cheapest bet is a 2 Ghz+ Pentium 4 with 512kb of cache on said 400 FSB. Try to avoid the 2.0/256/400, as these are significantly slower. The 256 kb cache are called "Willamete", the 512kb cache (the ones you want) "Northwood". Do not buy a 533 or 800 MHz FSB processor, it will not run at its advertised speed (if it runs at all).

The 2.8/512/400 is the fastest cpu for your board, but such a cpu might be difficult or a bit more expensive.

Determining factors of susceptible speed on a retro system (excluding 3D-graphics):

1. Hard drive or equivalent performance
5. CPU
6. Type of RAM

Ok awesome I think I've got it now. So I can use anything on this

https://www.asus.com/supportonly/P4B-M/HelpDesk_CPU/

I've actually found them quite cheap, I can get a SL6WH for $10 or a SL6WS $25. What's the difference? I can't see a difference on cpu-world. Only the SL6WS has Northwood in the title. Also that's from a German store on eBay so may sound silly but the languages don't change do they? They're all compatible?

Reply 13 of 18, by flupke11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You need a 400 FSB Cpu, both sSpec you mention (SL6WH and SL6WS) have an FSB of 800 MHz.

These will not or not correctly function at their given speed.

As I have mentioned, the 2.8/512/400 is the fastest optiin. 2.8 is the speed in GHz (2800 MHz), 512 is the amount of cache in KB, 400 is the Front Side Bus speed in MHz.

Reply 14 of 18, by Tyrant

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
flupke11 wrote on 2021-03-31, 11:22:

You need a 400 FSB Cpu, both sSpec you mention (SL6WH and SL6WS) have an FSB of 800 MHz.

These will not or not correctly function at their given speed.

As I have mentioned, the 2.8/512/400 is the fastest optiin. 2.8 is the speed in GHz (2800 MHz), 512 is the amount of cache in KB, 400 is the Front Side Bus speed in MHz.

Right gotcha so one of these?

https://www.cpu-world.com/sspec/SL/SL7EY.html

I found one of these

Reply 16 of 18, by Tyrant

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
flupke11 wrote on 2021-03-31, 14:46:

That should work.

Cool thanks. I had a read of how to update the BIOS in the P4B-M manual but it doesn't really make sense to me. Do you know any good guides? There's not much on YouTube.

Reply 17 of 18, by flupke11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you pop in the cpu and it just works, I would suggest not to update the BIOS. Once you are more accustomed to your system and the quirkiness of older equipment, you can always give it a shot. It's just booting off a disk or floppy to a bare DOS environment and launching in the command line interface a program that erases and rewrites the BIOS chip on your mainboard.
If you do not know what you are doing, you may brick your system, all the more reason to get more accustomed before venturing into those areas.

Reply 18 of 18, by Tyrant

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
flupke11 wrote on 2021-03-31, 16:35:

If you pop in the cpu and it just works, I would suggest not to update the BIOS. Once you are more accustomed to your system and the quirkiness of older equipment, you can always give it a shot. It's just booting off a disk or floppy to a bare DOS environment and launching in the command line interface a program that erases and rewrites the BIOS chip on your mainboard.
If you do not know what you are doing, you may brick your system, all the more reason to get more accustomed before venturing into those areas.

Is there a chance it may work but not properly? Or will it either work entirely or not at all do you think. According to ASUS' website I need the 1004 update for the processor I bought. I'll see if there's a way I can check what BIOS I currently have.

https://www.asus.com/supportonly/P4B-M/HelpDesk_CPU/