VOGONS

First post, by MADC1993

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey guys!

I'm a new guy here, but i've decided to buy an HP 2133 due to being small enough for personal usage.

But i want to make little questions here?

Which pre-Windows XP OSes are supported on the 2133?
Can i install DOS (not DOSbox) in this machine for retrogaming?

And while i know this is not an retro forum, i'd like to know if there's some present day low-end Linux or BSD OS i can use on this little machine for Web Browsing and using instant messengers like Telegram.
Also, is the SD card slot available for boot?

Cheers.

Last edited by MADC1993 on 2021-04-11, 12:40. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 3, by snufkin

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just on the linux question, I had a similar netbook type computer (Acer Aspire 1 ZG5) and put Devuan (non-SystemD variant of Debian) with xfce desktop environment on it sometime last year. It could just about cope with YouTube videos at 360p, and Zoom calls as long as all the video windows were kept small. Actually worked better than I expected. Display was a bit cramped (1024 x 600, some dialog boxes wouldn't actually fit) so I scaled that up in X using xrandr to 1230 x 720 and it was sharp enough. Struggle to remember how I coped with Win3.1@640x480, although that was on a 14" monitor.

RAM was an issue, 512MB caused lots of swap thrashing, which on a slow 8GB old SSD was painful. So I put in the maximum 1GB upgrade and turned off swap.

The Aspire had a 1.6GHz Intel Atom. Wikipedia tells me the 2133 has a Via C7-M with a range of speeds. So if you've got the 1.6GHz version, with 2GB RAM, then it might work. Someone on zdnet says they could boot from the SD card:
https://www.zdnet.com/article/boot-from-an-sd-memory-card/

I don't know what the chipset support is like for the 2133 so you may have to jump through various hoops to make things work.

For Windows, it looks like there may be a graphics driver for Win98 but not '95. At least there's one for the CN896, which might work with what I think is on the 2133 (VN896). I'd guess getting drivers for the various bits might be the trickiest bit for installing '98, have a look:
http://download.viatech.com/en/support/driversSelect.jsp

Reply 2 of 3, by MADC1993

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
snufkin wrote on 2021-04-10, 17:13:
Just on the linux question, I had a similar netbook type computer (Acer Aspire 1 ZG5) and put Devuan (non-SystemD variant of Deb […]
Show full quote

Just on the linux question, I had a similar netbook type computer (Acer Aspire 1 ZG5) and put Devuan (non-SystemD variant of Debian) with xfce desktop environment on it sometime last year. It could just about cope with YouTube videos at 360p, and Zoom calls as long as all the video windows were kept small. Actually worked better than I expected. Display was a bit cramped (1024 x 600, some dialog boxes wouldn't actually fit) so I scaled that up in X using xrandr to 1230 x 720 and it was sharp enough. Struggle to remember how I coped with Win3.1@640x480, although that was on a 14" monitor.

RAM was an issue, 512MB caused lots of swap thrashing, which on a slow 8GB old SSD was painful. So I put in the maximum 1GB upgrade and turned off swap.

The Aspire had a 1.6GHz Intel Atom. Wikipedia tells me the 2133 has a Via C7-M with a range of speeds. So if you've got the 1.6GHz version, with 2GB RAM, then it might work. Someone on zdnet says they could boot from the SD card:
https://www.zdnet.com/article/boot-from-an-sd-memory-card/

I don't know what the chipset support is like for the 2133 so you may have to jump through various hoops to make things work.

For Windows, it looks like there may be a graphics driver for Win98 but not '95. At least there's one for the CN896, which might work with what I think is on the 2133 (VN896). I'd guess getting drivers for the various bits might be the trickiest bit for installing '98, have a look:
http://download.viatech.com/en/support/driversSelect.jsp

Interesting.
Do you think an Sandisk Solid State drive could help a bit?
I know Sandisk SSDs are SATA 3 and i'll presume the HP 2133 is SATA2 at most so transfer rate won't be so good, but i think it could help in terms of stability?

Also, do you think those current generation SD Cards could be used for Windows while i'd use the internal hard drive for non crucial data? Or won't be different in terms of performance compared to these 2005-2010 SD cards?

Read/Write Speeds are not much my focus, specially considering this is a VIA CPU laptop.
I think for late 90s and early 2000s games, it won't be much of a problem.

Reply 3 of 3, by snufkin

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MADC1993 wrote on 2021-04-11, 11:05:

Do you think an Sandisk Solid State drive could help a bit?

I don't actually know (the Acer had a weird SSD interface so I didn't explore further), but I can't imagine a decent modern SSD can hurt.

I know Sandisk SSDs are SATA 3 and i'll presume the HP 2133 is SATA2 at most so transfer rate won't be so good, but i think it could help in terms of stability?

Probably SATA1 (HP website just says SATA and 100MB/s). Don't think an SSD would affect stability, although they're less likely to be damaged if it gets dropped.

Also, do you think those current generation SD Cards could be used for Windows while i'd use the internal hard drive for non crucial data? Or won't be different in terms of performance compared to these 2005-2010 SD cards?

Read/Write Speeds are not much my focus, specially considering this is a VIA CPU laptop.
I think for late 90s and early 2000s games, it won't be much of a problem.

Don't know about that either. To start with I'd probably try and keep things simple and just install Win98 on the hard drive, then check if you can get all the drivers to make various bits (particularly sound and video drivers) work. Once I'd checked that that was actually possible then I'd think about playing with the SD card and making sure that Win98 can at least see it. The Acer I had had two SD slots, but one was a bit weird and could only be seen by the laptop if there was a card in it on boot. So things might be complicated.