VOGONS

First post, by BLockOUT

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have opened more than 20 pcs from the 90s in the past years and i have seen cheap no brand I∕O Card ISA cards on them.
The cards are used to connect the IDE cables of the hard drive and floppy drives. since the motherboard was so old that they did not include ide connectors.

I have seen only a couple of VESA I∕O Cards but only for sale, seems like something rare?. So im wondering what is the real benefit of installing a vesa I∕O Card instead of an ISA one.

The other question i have is regarding the brand of such cards, most of the no brand cards i saw had a Winbond, others had UMC chip , and other brands i can't recall now. (the vesa one i saw had a goldstar, yea i thought goldstar only made old TVs and radios, later on was called LG). But anyway ....i wanted to know what brand is the best for those controler I/O cards

Reply 1 of 3, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

VLB cards will give you 32-bit access for IDE, while the ISA cards are only going to be 16-bit.

Some VLB cards only have a single IDE channel on VLB, while the other channel is on ISA.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 2 of 3, by snufkin

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

We had a couple of VLB caching controllers, and from what I remember it meant that small writes to disk (e.g. creation of temporary files, unzipping a bunch of .txt files) could be written to the card at the VLB speed (wikipedia tells me this would have been up to 133MB/s for the 486DX33 we had), rather than the ISA speed (16MB/s?) or whatever the hard drive write speed was, freeing up the CPU to then carry on with other things whilst the controller handled writing the cache out to the slower hard drive. Risk of data loss if there was a power cut, but they were pretty rare and we unplugged the computer during thunderstorms.

Given that hard drives weren't all that fast (<10MB/s?), I don't know how much difference a non-caching VLB controller would have made over an ISA controller. There might have been something about VLB allowing direct access to system RAM, faster than the ISA DMA. I'm sure someone around here will know the technical details and will have benchmarked the differences.

First card we had was a Tekram DC680t, which I think I managed to break after temporarily moving it to a friends computer (or at least, it wouldn't boot when I moved it back). The replacement was a Promise DC4030VL-2 which gave no problems at all.

Reply 3 of 3, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There might have been something about VLB allowing direct access to system RAM, faster than the ISA DMA

Typical I/O cards don't have DMA capabilities, only PIO. So real difference between such cards is rather small.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.