VOGONS

First post, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ok so my old trusty joystick after all these years is finally showing its age, I went to play some CFS2 this afternoon to be greeted by alot of play suddenly. It was tight then suddenly no resistance really in the X axis, the Y axis still has resistance. I'm wondering what could have happened and if its repairable. I'd hate to think I have to replace the old girl, I bought her new in the summer of 99. I mean I suppose 16 years of good service is pretty fantastic but I like it alot 🤣

Reply 1 of 5, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've had this happen before. It was one of my old ThrustMaster or CH sticks that did it. It was just a spring that popped off so I opened up the stick, reattached it, and it was fine.

I'm not sure about the insides of the MS Precision II, but I know it uses pots unlike the 3D Pro and Precision Pro which use digital/optical sensors.

It's broken anyway. I would just open it up and see what can be done with it. You can't really make anything worse.

16 years is a really good service life for a stick that uses pots. You could always try visiting GoodWill or a thrift store to find another. I see used sticks for sale all the time. I've found 3D Pros, Precision Pros, Precision IIs, Saitek, CH Products, ThrustMaster, SunCom, Gravis, and all sorts of old input devices.

About a month ago, I found one called a "InterAct Raider FX". I had never seen one of these before, but it was in really great condition in its original box, so I grabbed it for $2. It's a digital USB stick that has some rudimentary force-feedback/rumble mechanism. I researched it a bit and found that it will only work with Win9X. I tested it out and it works fine; no spiking or slop in the center position. I haven't played with it too much yet, but it actually seems to be more accurate than a 3D Pro or Precision Pro. It's too bad that its drivers won't work with XP, but I'll enjoy it for what it is on my legacy systems.

Reply 3 of 5, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've fixed it, sorry for the late updated, but i got it feeling tighter by sticking in 7 sheets of wax paper, its no longer loose, though i know its only temporary, time to look for a replacement, I've got a Sidewinder Precision Pro, a Radio Shack one, and the Top Gun Joystick, my pick is the Precision Pro but its gameport and inconvenient to move around 🙁

Reply 4 of 5, by snufkin

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There's a gameport -> usb adapter for the Sidewinders:
https://www.descentbb.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t … b4e62c1f74bd7d0

[or at least some of them. I've got the 3d Precision Pro PID 97462, and the adapter works for that]

Reply 5 of 5, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It sounds like you did something similar to this guy:

https://web.archive.org/web/20180107032258/ht … der/repair.html

... except you used wax paper instead of mylar.