VOGONS

First post, by Chadti99

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Obviously limited by the Mini ATX form factor. Should I build a P4 system? Any other ideas?

Reply 1 of 9, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I love the looks of these cases. I have a p3 500 build in mine. It doesn't have the greatest air flow and with how hot P4s run I dont think it'll be a good idea. These are great for SS7, PPro, P2, and low power P3 and Athlon builds.

Reply 2 of 9, by Chadti99

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This case has some additional accommodations for cooling. Def would like to build a Pentium Pro system. Are there Pro motherboards that should fit this case?

Reply 3 of 9, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I purchased from the same seller. 😜

I plan on putting an AMD K7 build in mine, or maybe a K6-III+.

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 4 of 9, by Chadti99

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
wiretap wrote on 2021-06-06, 12:21:

I purchased from the same seller. 😜

I plan on putting an AMD K7 build in mine, or maybe a K6-III+.

Nice and yah these are on eBay for anyone interested, didn’t realize he had more than one, grab them while you can!

Reply 5 of 9, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have one of those - I picked it up last fall as part of a lot of parts for $30.00 from a Craigslist seller. The front USB cable connects to the motherboard with single pins, and I was so annoyed by this that I found a nine pin connector and installed that instead; it's much easier to connect to the motherboard.

Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 6 of 9, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Oh nice. I didn't realize those cases came like that. My inwin has a solid side panel. You should be able to get a PPro system in there easy.

Reply 7 of 9, by Chadti99

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Repo Man11 wrote on 2021-06-06, 16:04:

I have one of those - I picked it up last fall as part of a lot of parts for $30.00 from a Craigslist seller. The front USB cable connects to the motherboard with single pins, and I was so annoyed by this that I found a nine pin connector and installed that instead; it's much easier to connect to the motherboard.

Interesting, where are the front USB ports mounted?

Reply 8 of 9, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well, it's a bog-standard uATX case, so anything from a mid/late-1990s So7 uATX system to the Ryzen I recently bought will fit in it (the latter with a *slight* PSU upgrade). I have the full ATX version which is currently hosting a Tekram P6B40-A4X with a late P3 as my late DOS build. That won't fit in the uATX of course, but there are similar boards that will.

If you want to do a P4 system, that would work fine, assuming the PSU is up to it. What kind of PSU is it?

Reply 9 of 9, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Chadti99 wrote on 2021-06-06, 19:12:
Repo Man11 wrote on 2021-06-06, 16:04:

Interesting, where are the front USB ports mounted?

Bottom right of the front panel.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey