VOGONS

First post, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What is the best DRAM to add to this VLB video Card ?
I purchased it on eBay and did not realize it did not have the original DRAM or some just add the wrong type of DRAM.
It appears to be working fine right now and recognizes 2mb
But it still bothers me. I want the right type of DRAM in this card.

So what speed and type of DRAM do you think is best for this video card ?

Its a Cirrus Login 5429 VLB video card with 1mb on board.
Here is the Data sheet on it.

Reply 2 of 9, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Looks like the correct ram to me and it , according to you OP, is functioning as it should.

You've done similar posts like this in the past. Whiy?

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 3 of 9, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Okay, I found this info on the current EDO DRAM installed.
It reads that the access time is from -25ns to -40ns so I think it should be okay for this video card.
http://pdf.datasheetcatalog.com/datasheets2/38/384008_1.pdf

Reply 5 of 9, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

When it comes to latency, lower is better. 25ns is faster than 45ns. It's not listed on the VGA data sheet because those speeds didn't exist when the chip was released.Someone upgraded this card with much newer SOJs.

Reply 6 of 9, by waterbeesje

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

"correct" ram can differ on each card as well.
I once had two identical Trident 9000 ISA cards, same type number, same PCB and same components. Even serial numbers were not too far behind.

Both cards had 512kB in four 44256 chips, but that's where the similarity between ram ended. Brand was different, even timings were different (one had 80ns rated ram, other 60ns rated). Both were equally slow in benchmarks and I believe the 60ns chips were terribly underperforming. No harm in that though...

To me it always seems the card builders search for fairly cheap ram that matches the minimum requirements (or quality) and from there is just whatever they can get.

Stuck at 10MHz...

Reply 7 of 9, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
waterbeesje wrote on 2021-06-13, 13:51:
"correct" ram can differ on each card as well. I once had two identical Trident 9000 ISA cards, same type number, same PCB and s […]
Show full quote

"correct" ram can differ on each card as well.
I once had two identical Trident 9000 ISA cards, same type number, same PCB and same components. Even serial numbers were not too far behind.

Both cards had 512kB in four 44256 chips, but that's where the similarity between ram ended. Brand was different, even timings were different (one had 80ns rated ram, other 60ns rated). Both were equally slow in benchmarks and I believe the 60ns chips were terribly underperforming. No harm in that though...

To me it always seems the card builders search for fairly cheap ram that matches the minimum requirements (or quality) and from there is just whatever they can get.

Yes, that is why I was skeptical about the additional DRAM chips used on this card. But it turns out it is okay for this card but most likely will not work on all video cards. I would try to match the soldered on DRAM chips for compatibility.

Reply 8 of 9, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2021-06-13, 14:11:

[...]

Yes, that is why I was skeptical about the additional DRAM chips used on this card. But it turns out it is okay for this card but most likely will not work on all video cards. I would try to match the soldered on DRAM chips for compatibility.

Once again, lower = better.

"45" means the chips can take it if they get consecutive accesses 45ns apart. "25" means the chips can take it if they get consecutive accesses 25ns apart. 25 can take everything designed for 45ns and then some. The other way round would not work, putting 45ns chips in an application requiring 25ns.

Maybe you're more familiar with wiring terminology. You can use AWG24 for everything designed for AWG26, but not vice versa.

Reply 9 of 9, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

"Compatibility" 🤣