VOGONS

First post, by Surrat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Does anybody know the history of these?
Micron seemed to put all their Millennia's in a normal mid tower case, but then I find this one.
Model number is SE440BX2-PII350-T
The manufacture date is March 1999, but its a P2 350, which seems strange.
Its marked as a Millennia but is in the extra tall tower case like the Powerdigm.

I'm wondering if this was some kind of custom order option at the time?
Just curious about this pretty strange PC.

Attachments

Reply 1 of 17, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I bet it was an option for running a file server. Tall case so can have many HD's... just a guess 😀

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 17, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Any asset stickers on it? They used to supply some gov/mil contracts, configs on those can be weird.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 3 of 17, by Grem Five

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I was curious about that system as well, I noticed it sold pretty fast. I have seen alot of Micron cases but that one is new to me, in the pictures thats in a whole lot of case and very little in it.

Reply 4 of 17, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Been a standard option on the Millenia XRU since mid 97 (PD440FX)

https://www.overclock.net/threads/my-take-on- … 90s-pc.1627223/

Millenia XRU  FT.jpg
Filename
Millenia XRU FT.jpg
File size
106.74 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

https://manualzz.com/doc/21066311/millennia-x … 01400-01--10-97

Reply 5 of 17, by Grem Five

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I was remembering back to when I bought my Millenia XRU PII 300 and not sure if that was an option why I would not have gotten that case. I have always preferred full sized towers as my previous system before that was a ZEOS Pantera 66 in that size case. Sad to say I got rid of the ZEOS when I got the Micron but still have the Micron PC.

I know I had bought both systems at the same outlet store in Minneapolis, MN it was 1st a ZEOS store then after the takeover it was a Micron store. I probably just bought what they had in store and they didnt have any in that larger case.

Old review I found has the Powerdigm in the same case my system has and not that larger one. PC Mag I thought maybe the ZEOS brand used the larger cases and not the Micron brand.

Reply 7 of 17, by Surrat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The Millennia big tower arrived safely, wanted to share a few pics.

The original 8.4gig IDE drive was still in it, and still loaded with software, looks like the last file access was in 2010.
There is a 92mm exhaust fan near the top of the case, that I'm replacing with a fresh Noctua.
The P2 350 cpu has a 60mm fan blowing on it from above, also with bad bearings, replacing it with a Noctua as well.
I replaced the loud power supply (300w with 30amp 5v rails), with a Seasonic 350w with 20amp 5v, it should be enough.
Memory installed was two pc100 32mb dimms, and a 128mb dimm.
I have ordered a fresh set of 3x 256mb ecc dimms for it.
The motherboard is on bios P02, I'm planning to upgrade it to intels P17, but am worried it will erase the Micron bios splash screen.

I cant use the top two cdrom bays, as the IDE cable isnt really long enough, they had it in there, but it just barely reached.
I have a pair of 36inch IDE cables coming, so no more cable kinks.

The case has 11 bays total, 4x internal 3.5 inch, 4x cd/dvd, floppy, and 2x internal 5.25 inch.

I really like this case, looks damn cool (to me) and lots of room, I got fresh intel inside, and windows95 stickers for it too.

Anyway, love you guys, and just wanted to share!

Attachments

• Up and running.JPG
    Filename
    Up and running.JPG
    File size
    1.44 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • SE440BX-2.JPG
    Filename
    SE440BX-2.JPG
    File size
    1.54 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • Apart for cleaning.JPG
    Filename
    Apart for cleaning.JPG
    File size
    1.54 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • Safe and sound.JPG
    Filename
    Safe and sound.JPG
    File size
    985.2 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
Last edited by Surrat on 2021-07-02, 02:58. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 8 of 17, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Surrat wrote on 2021-07-01, 00:48:

My baby! I have one, but it is in storage. I was still using it as a daily machine back when VOGONS was brand new (well, I did some upgrades... 😉 )
Stiletto's GhettoPC (TM)

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 9 of 17, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
The Millennia big tower arrived safely, wanted to share a few pics. […]
Show full quote

The original 8.4gig IDE drive was still in it, and still loaded with software, looks like the last file access was in 2010.
There is a 92mm exhaust fan near the top of the case, that I'm replacing with a fresh Noctua.
The P2 350 cpu has a 40mm fan blowing on it from above, also with bad bearings, replacing it with a Noctua as well.
I replaced the loud power supply (300w with 30amp 5v rails), with a Seasonic 350w with 20amp 5v, it should be enough.
The motherboard is on bios P02, I'm planning to upgrade it to intels P17, but am worried it will erase the Micron bios splash screen.

I cant use the top two cdrom bays, as the IDE cable isnt really long enough, they had it in there, but it just barely reached.

The case has 11 bays total, 4x internal 3.5 inch, 4x cd/dvd, floppy, and 2x internal 5.25 inch.

I really like this case, looks damn cool (to me) and lots of room, I got fresh intel inside, and windows95 stickers for it too.

Stiletto wrote on 2021-07-01, 23:21:

My baby! I have one, but it is in storage. I was still using it as a daily machine back when VOGONS was brand new (well, I did some upgrades... 😉 )
Stiletto's GhettoPC (TM)

Really Nice towers !! Hehee "The case has 11 bays total" that is a lot of storage capability ! SCSI and lots of HD's ;p

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 10 of 17, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Horun wrote on 2021-07-01, 23:58:
The Millennia big tower arrived safely, wanted to share a few pics. […]
Show full quote

The P2 350 cpu has a 40mm fan blowing on it from above, also with bad bearings, replacing it with a Noctua as well.

Stiletto wrote on 2021-07-01, 23:21:

Stiletto's GhettoPC (TM)

Really Nice towers !!

I agree . I hope they never go Fawlty faulty .😉

Seriously, I now feel a bit nostalgic for the big Inwin (AFAICR) case that I used with my my super socket 7 setup back in the day .

Reply 11 of 17, by Grem Five

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm glad it showed up in good shape.. thats an awesome case.

Over a year ago I found a good deal on a Pionex machine and the seller shipped it via FedEX which made me shudder. I'm not sure how they did it but they manage to bend the case I had not ever seen before and it was packaged well.
QnSTCsWl.jpg

I sent the seller the pics and then I was able to drill out all the pop rivets, take all the pieces apart and straighten each part individually and then put the case back together perfectly straight. I tried to straighten it out without drilling out the pop rivets and no luck and I put a lot of force on it, no idea how they could have bent it short of parking a semi on it.

From my experience FedEX or UPS my stuff will show up broken or mangled.... strange enough USPS is the only service that seems able to deliver stuff undamaged.

Reply 12 of 17, by Grem Five

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have the same micron board in one of my machines its running bios p12, it came with a 550Mhz P3 but right now I'm running a 800Mzh P3 no probs. I didnt want to flash it as losing the Micron Splash screen would be sacrilege......

Reply 13 of 17, by Surrat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have since flashed the motherboard bios to the Intel P17, and yes, I did lose the Micron splash screen, it was replaced with an intel splash.
Made me frown, but, it was worth it for the hugely improved BIOS over P02, I dont regret flashing it.
After searching the old hard drive, it did not have any oemlogo or oeminfo, or Micron wallpapers.
I think it was a later installation, and the original had been wiped.
I dont know any source for any original Micron wallpapers, or the Micron oemlogo graphic for the windows version screen.

At least for now, I decided to keep the machine a P2, so will be installing a P2 400.
There was a time, when that was the best cpu money could buy, many benchmarks, and reviews done based on it, seemed fitting for this tower.
I'm testing a Matrox G400max card in it, so far, very happy with it.
I upgraded the card with the optional Matrox DVI addon, and a noctua fan.

Attachments

Reply 14 of 17, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Surrat wrote on 2021-07-02, 03:08:
I have since flashed the motherboard bios to the Intel P17, and yes, I did lose the Micron splash screen, it was replaced with a […]
Show full quote

I have since flashed the motherboard bios to the Intel P17, and yes, I did lose the Micron splash screen, it was replaced with an intel splash.
Made me frown, but, it was worth it for the hugely improved BIOS over P02, I dont regret flashing it.
After searching the old hard drive, it did not have any oemlogo or oeminfo, or Micron wallpapers.
I think it was a later installation, and the original had been wiped.
I dont know any source for any original Micron wallpapers, or the Micron oemlogo graphic for the windows version screen.

At least for now, I decided to keep the machine a P2, so will be installing a P2 400.
There was a time, when that was the best cpu money could buy, many benchmarks, and reviews done based on it, seemed fitting for this tower.
I'm testing a Matrox G400max card in it, so far, very happy with it.
I upgraded the card with the optional Matrox DVI addon, and a noctua fan.

Glad the system turned up in one piece - looks to be in great nick 😀

Shame about losing the Micron BIOS splash screen - if you'd saved a copy of P02 you could maybe have extracted the OEM part and re-inserted into the intel P17 user space. Another alternative might be to try the latest OEM version which Micron issued which was P15 - you can see it listed here (although the actual file link is dead)

https://web.archive.org/web/20010708073554/ht … 109-xx&include=

Fortunately it's still available from Driverguide (and attached here)

https://www.driverguide.com/driver/detail.php … driverid=164109

Filename
se440bx2_16.exe
File size
1.05 MiB
Downloads
61 downloads
File license

It's definitely OEM as it contains the Micron 05A string identifier rather than intel 86A. Not sure you'd see much difference between the two on a board as early as yours (AA 719944-207 is one of the first production revisions) so things like later processor support won't apply - in fact P17 will likely block the board from booting with anything beyond a 600MHz PIII / 100 / 512.

You can find the Micron oemlogo & oeminfo here

http://cs.gettysburg.edu/~duncjo01/archive/pa … rns/OEM/Micron/

Probably a bit too 'current' but these make good wallpaper anyway

Micron01.jpg
Filename
Micron01.jpg
File size
67.41 KiB
Views
File license
Micron02.jpg
Filename
Micron02.jpg
File size
321.11 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 15 of 17, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

When I can ever get to the storage facility, I can dig out my Micron installation discs - I had a Pentium II 266, I believe the machine assembly date was late 1996 or early 1997 - it should have a lot more era-appropriate Micron wallpaper and such (if there was any, I forget). I still have everything.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 16 of 17, by Surrat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That was great! just what I needed!

I have reflashed the bios to the Micron P15 you found.
The oemlogo and oeminfo both work too, I needed to fix the line numbering in the oeminfo, but everything shows up properly.

With the P15 bios installed, my Promise TX2 133 card now works correctly.
I have a compact flash 8gb in an IDE adapter, plugged into the Promise 133 card, boots right up with Win95c, no problems.
It didnt work with P02, and caused boot errors, and cdrom errors.

Attachments

• Splash.JPG
    Filename
    Splash.JPG
    File size
    1.04 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • About.JPG
    Filename
    About.JPG
    File size
    1.95 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 17 of 17, by magman4x4

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2021-06-26, 04:49:
Been a standard option on the Millenia XRU since mid 97 (PD440FX) […]
Show full quote

Been a standard option on the Millenia XRU since mid 97 (PD440FX)

https://www.overclock.net/threads/my-take-on- … 90s-pc.1627223/

Millenia XRU FT.jpg

https://manualzz.com/doc/21066311/millennia-x … 01400-01--10-97

Hey thats my system! Still using it as a Pentium III! Thanks for reposting this, I joined this page to comment on this I realize it's a few years old.