VOGONS

First post, by lackofpatience

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a question about CPU Voltages. usually I can figure it out but not sure on this one.
I've got the following AMD K6 socket 7 CPU (not a K6-2). It shows the following voltages on the chip.
When checking the CPU world link it shows many voltages at the bottom of the page. But looking at my motherboard info, I don't think it supports such voltages (despite supporting various K6 and K6-2 CPU's)

Am I right in saying my motherboard will fry the cpu due to not having matching voltage numbers? More info in the links,
Cheers! 😀

CPU info:
https://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K6/AMD-K6%2026 … -K6-266AFR.html
Motherboard info:
https://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/B/B … Pentiu-205.html

Attachments

• motherboard.png
    Filename
    motherboard.png
    File size
    18.3 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    The motherboard I'm using
    File license
    Public domain
  • IMG_0213.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_0213.JPG
    File size
    1.56 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    CPU
    File license
    Public domain
  • CPU.png
    Filename
    CPU.png
    File size
    15.83 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    CPU Voltage
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 2 of 4, by lackofpatience

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
quicknick wrote on 2021-07-28, 00:00:

If your board is the Biostar MB-8500TTD you're in luck:

mb-8500ttd manual needed

Ahh yes! I did find that after doing some more googling, I will give it a try and see what happens haha

Reply 3 of 4, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

In general though, the K6s and K6-2s of 2.2 to 2.4V will tolerate 2.5V under a decent sized heatsink and 2.7V under something gargantuan with a copper slug or a waterblock. (In the second case, the lifetime might only be a year or two)

edit: Conversely, I put a 2.4V K6-2 on a board that had some very odd voltage choices back in the day, think it had 2.6, 2.7, 2.8 annnd 2.3, 2.6 seemed like it was gonna be a little hot, so I stuck it on 2.3 and it ran fine, would only overclock about 25mhz though, but knowing it would even overclock a little was comforting that it wasn't gonna be edge-casey at stock speed on those volts.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 4 of 4, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

In general though, the K6s and K6-2s of 2.2 to 2.4V will tolerate 2.5V under a decent sized heatsink and 2.7V under something gargantuan with a copper slug or a waterblock

Nonsense. 2.8v is absolutely fine for K6-2 and does not require anything but decently sized aluminum cooler. Now 3.3v is a different story...

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.