VOGONS

First post, by GrampaGotTheKeys

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Being the old fool I picked up a Geforce 6200 AGP 512MB to try out in Win 98SE.

The drivers "77.72_win9x_international.exe" pick up the card and install fine, any older versions complain they can't find the card.

And sure enough it shows up as an AGP 2x card in the properties with 512 memory, desktop 2D performance is just fine and happy at 1600x1200 not to mention DOS.

But ANY opengl games make this card CHOKE, im talking barely 1FPS in Quake 2 at 640x480.

Anyone with experience offer any insight into how to maybe fix this? I've ran cards with 512MB memory in Win9x just fine before so I really doubt it's that.

Attachments

Reply 1 of 6, by leonardo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
GrampaGotTheKeys wrote on 2021-08-05, 09:13:
Being the old fool I picked up a Geforce 6200 AGP 512MB to try out in Win 98SE. […]
Show full quote

Being the old fool I picked up a Geforce 6200 AGP 512MB to try out in Win 98SE.

The drivers "77.72_win9x_international.exe" pick up the card and install fine, any older versions complain they can't find the card.

And sure enough it shows up as an AGP 2x card in the properties with 512 memory, desktop 2D performance is just fine and happy at 1600x1200 not to mention DOS.

But ANY opengl games make this card CHOKE, im talking barely 1FPS in Quake 2 at 640x480.

Anyone with experience offer any insight into how to maybe fix this? I've ran cards with 512MB memory in Win9x just fine before so I really doubt it's that.

You probably need an updated OpenGL module for the games themselves. For example the OpenGL renderers that shipped with Unreal and Unreal Tournament were pretty much useless out-of-box and needed to be updated (Check here for Unreal and here for Unreal Tournament). The Quake series had much more robust OpenGL drivers right off the bat, so I never looked into anything beyond the official patch (3.20), but even there I suspect the age of the game's driver/module and your video card OpenGL ICD is the problem.

My 2 cnt.

[Install Win95 like you were born in 1985!] on systems like this or this.

Reply 2 of 6, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

*chuckles* Works as intended for 512 Mb AGP card in 9x environment.

a) Apply 512 Mb fix.
b) Disable AGP DIME driver and/or limit AGP aperture size in BIOS to 16 Mb.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 3 of 6, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My PCIs came in the same box, I haven't checked yet to see if they really make Lara more breasty. Haven't even powered one up yet, they were ordered on more of a whim than having a system ready for one.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 4 of 6, by GrampaGotTheKeys

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-08-05, 15:00:

My PCIs came in the same box, I haven't checked yet to see if they really make Lara more breasty.

Aw I think TR Legend is just past Win98, so no confirming from me.

The Serpent Rider wrote on 2021-08-05, 11:25:

*chuckles* Works as intended for 512 Mb AGP card in 9x environment.

a) Apply 512 Mb fix.
b) Disable AGP DIME driver and/or limit AGP aperture size in BIOS to 16 Mb.

AH I didn't think of that fix going around, will give it a go, out of curiosity which set of Geforce drivers are working best for you?

Reply 5 of 6, by GrampaGotTheKeys

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hmm no luck, it was reporting 512MB already.

Tried some newer drivers like the "Tweaked Unofficial NVIDIA Display Driver 82.69 for Windows 98/98 SP1/98 SE/ME" (works a treat for a 7600GS)

Still stuck on 1 frame every 4 seconds.