VOGONS

First post, by BetaC

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So the AT-style gateway that I picked up last week has been giving me odd issues related to booting, and google has been a rabbit hole of zero actual answers. I am attempting to get the system to boot off of a Promise Ultra 66 card that I picked up recently, and while the system boots the card, and shows all that is connected to said card, it just sits there, doing nothing and or beeping constantly. The 1GB HDD I am attempting to use works without issue on either of the integrated IDE slots, but as soon as I attach the SD-IDE adapter to the same ports it again fails to boot. I have also been attempting to see if there's potentially a more up to date BIOS for this system, but I haven't found anything at all. The motherboard is, assumed at least, to be an intel Triton based board that may be a modified Zappa, and it has PBA 634383-807 as the only identifier.

ph4ne7-99.png
g32zpm-99.png
0zuv7q-6.png
7y1bp7-6.png

Reply 1 of 12, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Do you have a hdd entry in the bios at all Generally cards like this use that entry to boot starp the hdd on the Promise card.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 2 of 12, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For my Promise ISA EIDE multi i/o card states the drive type in the bios should be set to Type 1 as per pic below:

Attachments

• 20130204_065319.jpg
    Filename
    20130204_065319.jpg
    File size
    700.66 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 3 of 12, by BetaC

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Caluser2000 wrote on 2021-08-07, 21:46:

Do you have a hdd entry in the bios at all Generally cards like this use that entry to boot starp the hdd on the Promise card.

It does, but all that I can do in the HDD is set up physical information, initialization timeout, set it to Standard or extended CHS/Logical Block, and I/O modes. I am unsure if there's a more recent BIOS that changes what I can do, either.

image0.jpg
Filename
image0.jpg
File size
1.83 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

ph4ne7-99.png
g32zpm-99.png
0zuv7q-6.png
7y1bp7-6.png

Reply 4 of 12, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You need to disable auto detection of the dive and manually set C: to type 1...This is a standard drive type.

Reply 5 of 12, by BetaC

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Caluser2000 wrote on 2021-08-08, 01:15:

You need to disable auto detection of the dive and manually set C: to type 1...This is a standard drive type.

There is no option for type 1, just IDE translation mode, sector setting, and Fast programmed I/O modes.

ph4ne7-99.png
g32zpm-99.png
0zuv7q-6.png
7y1bp7-6.png

Reply 6 of 12, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Find out what the entries are for a type 1 drive and manually set and see if that works.

Reply 7 of 12, by BetaC

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Caluser2000 wrote on 2021-08-08, 01:35:

Find out what the entries are for a type 1 drive and manually set and see if that works.

I tried that, and have even managed to update to the latest BIOS, and I can't get anything.

ph4ne7-99.png
g32zpm-99.png
0zuv7q-6.png
7y1bp7-6.png

Reply 10 of 12, by techweenie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have the Aladdin board and could only get one PCI IDE card to work in it. It was either a VIA or Silicon Image chipset. It's probably the same story for the Zappa. Just use onboard IDE. If you're concerned about drive size limits, you could use MR BIOS, but beware there's no going back. I bricked my first Aladdin board screwing around with that.

Reply 11 of 12, by Riikcakirds

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
techweenie wrote on 2021-08-08, 08:54:

I have the Aladdin board and could only get one PCI IDE card to work in it. It was either a VIA or Silicon Image chipset. It's probably the same story for the Zappa. Just use onboard IDE. If you're concerned about drive size limits, you could use MR BIOS, but beware there's no going back. I bricked my first Aladdin board screwing around with that.

What do you mean there's no going back. I have flashed the latest MR BIOS on my Zappa (so it supports HD up to 128GB) , this was using mr bios own flashing program. What's the problem with flashing another bios? Or using something like UniFlash 1.40.
I know the Bios chip on these boards is soldered on.

Reply 12 of 12, by techweenie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The backup MR BIOS makes won't flash because the checksum doesn't match or something (obviously, why would it even check?). I forced it via other means and it never posted after that. I even desoldered the BIOS chip and offline flashed it but it never worked again.