VOGONS

First post, by cyberluke

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, I discovered strange issue. I already have 5 computers running XT-IDE. Now I'm trying to make it work on FIC PA-2005 (Via chipset) motherboard with Pentium 133 MMX. Just installed Windows 98 SE on CF-IDE (32GB).

Every time I restart (warm restart) the computer, XT-IDE will not show up and BIOS will fail to boot from HDD. On cold reset or computer turn off / turn on, it will work. It seems it is happening in Windows 98 SE.

The NIC is Realtek PCI with IRQ=10 and I removed all ISA cards. There is only S3 GPU in PCI. This Realtek NIC is supposed to be PnP, but there's no configuration utility. The only way to change stuff is in Windows 98 device manager. So I tried to change address of this Realtek PCI to C800 range as that is where is XT-IDE setup and that's what is reported on the boot.

But it did not help as well. Am I doing something wrong? I tried disabling as much IRQs as I can, but this does not seem to be IRQ conflict. I tried to change card positions as well. Nothing helps. I spent 2 days debugging this.

I have 5 Realtek PCI NIC. You cannot change IRQ, but each card have different IRQ by factory. I tried a few of them. It does not solve the problem.

---
I have also spare 3COM NIC for ISA, but when I run configuration utility I see BOOT ROM is enabled, but it reports address 0H. I cannot change this address. That is very strange and XT-IDE will not show up on this one. Another 3COM ISA can be changed. I guess it is different model or something is faulty on this one.
---

Reply 1 of 1, by cyberluke

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I solved it (cold restart after each step):
1) I changed IO address for NIC in Device Manager properties to C800
2) there were multiple NIC in Network Neighbours, so I had to remove all and restart (in Device Manager there is always only one, but there were more network TCP profiles and NIC there)
3) now it is working even with warm restart

So the problem was Windows 98 PnP and wrong configuration of NIC. Removing all network profiles in Network Neighbours and letting it install again on restart with proper NIC configuration from Device Manager seems to solve the problem.